Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] fourpaula@yahoo.com is offline

Default How to NOT suppress blank lines.

In office 2000 suppressing or not suppressing blank lines made the
empty fields move either up od down depending on which you choose. I
have now upgraded to Office 2007 & suppressing the lines makes address
lines float up to fill the blank space. I can't find a way to NOT
suppress the line in order to make the lines float down. I use a
mailing software which causes the fields to stay together no matter
what.
What I need to know is how to make the bottom line of the address NOT
move.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you can't suppress the lines using either
the old Mail Merge Helper (which you can put in the Quick Access Toolbar via
Word Office Button|Word Options|Customize|select "All Commands" in the
"Choose commands from" dropdown, the locate and sleect Mail Merge Helper...
and click the Add button)

or the VBA command

ActveDocument.MailMerge.SuppressBlankLines = False

then I suspect you'll have to put the field(s) in a 1x1 table and set the
cell properties so that the text is at the bottom of the cell.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote in message
In office 2000 suppressing or not suppressing blank lines made the
empty fields move either up od down depending on which you choose. I
have now upgraded to Office 2007 & suppressing the lines makes address
lines float up to fill the blank space. I can't find a way to NOT
suppress the line in order to make the lines float down. I use a
mailing software which causes the fields to stay together no matter
what.
What I need to know is how to make the bottom line of the address NOT
move.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] fourpaula@yahoo.com is offline

On Nov 16, 6:44 pm, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
If you can't suppress the lines using either
the old Mail Merge Helper (which you can put in the Quick Access Toolbar via
Word Office Button|Word Options|Customize|select "All Commands" in the
"Choose commands from" dropdown, the locate and sleect Mail Merge Helper...
and click the Add button)

or the VBA command

ActveDocument.MailMerge.SuppressBlankLines = False

then I suspect you'll have to put the field(s) in a 1x1 table and set the
cell properties so that the text is at the bottom of the cell.

--
Peter Jamiesonhttp://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

I'm not sure I understand or perhaps I didn't quite ask what I really
want to know. So let me detail the whole thing which I should have
done first, sorry about that.

I use a mail processing program that is compatable with the post
office machines & that sort of thing. This software creates the
mailing list & prepares the data for import into the document. The
mailing list doesn't import well using the mail merge wizard thing so
I do it manually by inserting merge fields, & so on.The software lets
me choose how I want the lines to float & it does so in word without
having to choose to suppress the lines or not. Problem is, with the
post office compatable software, the address & barcode have to stay in
the same place. Which means the barcode can't move up if address 1 or
the business is missing. What can I do to ensure the barcode stays in
the same spot & the address floats down to the barcode without leaving
blank lines & making it look like crap?????

Hope this explaines more of what I want.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Let's start with what you were doing in Word 2000. As I understand it from
what you said before, in Word 2000 you were disabling "Suppress blank
lines", presumably using the option in the Mail Merge Helper. Let me know if
that isn't what you were doing.

In Word 2007, you can still use the Mail Merge Helper, but you have to put
it in the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) first. And that's what the first part
of my previous message was about. Tou put the Helper ito the QAT, use

CLick Word Office Button
Click Word Options
Select Customize
Select "All Commands" in the "Choose commands from" dropdown
Locate and select "Mail Merge Helper..."
Click the Add button)

The Mail Merge Helper should now be in the QAT (which appears near the top
left of the Word window).

With your mail merge main document open, click the Mail Merge Helper icon in
the QAT, Click the Merge... button, and locate and set the relevant option,
as you did (I assume) in Word 2000.

If that does not work, let us know what happened.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk