Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tunes Tunes is offline

Default Merge from Outlook missing records

Hi! I am having a problem with Outlook mail merge. I am using categories
to sort records. After filtering the records,I have 33 contacts, but when I
do the merge there are only 31 labels. I am using Word and Outlook XP. I am
worried that I can't trust the mail merge to include all the desired records.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Once you have gone through the Tools|Mail Merge dialog in Outlook and it has
created/opened the Mail merge main document, try the following:
a. enable the Mail merge toolbar in Word (e.g. in View|Toolbars)
b. click the Mail Merge recipients button
c. see how many entries there are.

Are there 31 or 33? If there are 33, something has probably gone wrong in
the merge: are you "completing the merge" and either merging the labels to a
printer or to a new document, or are you just "previewing the merge"? If
there are 31, can you identify anything unusual about the 2 that have been
missed?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Tunes" wrote in message
Hi! I am having a problem with Outlook mail merge. I am using
categories
to sort records. After filtering the records,I have 33 contacts, but
when I
do the merge there are only 31 labels. I am using Word and Outlook XP. I
am
worried that I can't trust the mail merge to include all the desired
records.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tunes Tunes is offline

Thank you for responding. I have done lots of mail merges, but usually they
are too big to count. This one happen to be small so the number missing was
obvious. When I view the Mail Merge recipients I count 33. (Was there
suppose to be another way to see how many? Outlook tells me there are 33.)
After selecting all, I have 31 labels.

Once in Word, I select the mail merge wizard, go through the steps,
including preview and merge, then choose edit individual labels.

I don't know what could be unusual about the entries.

Thank you.

"Tunes" wrote in message
Hi! I am having a problem with Outlook mail merge. I am using
categories
to sort records. After filtering the records,I have 33 contacts, but
when I
do the merge there are only 31 labels. I am using Word and Outlook XP. I
am
worried that I can't trust the mail merge to include all the desired
records.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

When I view the Mail Merge recipients I count 33. (Was there
suppose to be another way to see how many?

Not really - I just wanted to verify that all 33 were reaching Word. But if
you enable the MailMerge toolbar and use the preview buttons to look through
the records, can you preview them all?

I don't know what could be unusual about the entries.

I didn't have anything specific in mind, but I meant things like...
a. was it the first 2 or the last 2 that disappeared?
b. did the two that disappeared have a particular field missing, or
"unusual" characters in the data such as double-quote characters?

Or, e.g., what happens if you just select the 2 disappearing ones in
Outlook, and try to merge those?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk