Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Claudette Hennessy Claudette Hennessy is offline

Default Data Source seems frozen

A system is running Office 2003 SP2
Last Friday I set odc data sources for documents for a new database. Some
of the sources are queries, and some are tables. Since then the users
attempted to create odc data sources for other documents after adding more
records and another (new) table. In Access, both the queries and the tables
reflect the additional data.

In Word, the data source choice wizard does not display the new table as a
choice, and the documents linked to the old table do not reflect the new
data. The documents already linked to the queries reflect the new data, but
a new query added to the database does not show up in the data source
choices.

I cannot duplicate this problem in my system, also running Office 2003 SP2.

Does anyone have any ideas about likely culprits?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Does anyone have any ideas about likely culprits?

Are you using .odc s because you also have a workgroup security database?

If so, do the users know how to set up a .odc that references the security
database? If not, they will be logged in as Admin and will only see the
tables that Admin has permissions for. Or something like that. Not sure why
they would not see new /data/, but that's probably where I would start
looking based on the info. available.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Claudette Hennessy" wrote in message
A system is running Office 2003 SP2
Last Friday I set odc data sources for documents for a new database. Some
of the sources are queries, and some are tables. Since then the users
attempted to create odc data sources for other documents after adding more
records and another (new) table. In Access, both the queries and the
tables reflect the additional data.

In Word, the data source choice wizard does not display the new table as a
choice, and the documents linked to the old table do not reflect the new
data. The documents already linked to the queries reflect the new data,
but a new query added to the database does not show up in the data source
choices.

I cannot duplicate this problem in my system, also running Office 2003
SP2.

Does anyone have any ideas about likely culprits?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Claudette Hennessy Claudette Hennessy is offline

Thank you for your reponse, Peter.
The links show up as odc extensions in the My Data Sources folder, don't
have a security database, just linking to an access database. However.
It turns out that my users called up and sheepishly admitted that they had
copied the database to new location and were working from there; the links,
of course, were pointed to the old location. Am somewhat embarrassed to
post this, except that it provides an answer for a problem. The users did
not think to tell me of their actions, not realizing cause and effect, and I
did not think to ask them, since it is akin to reporting that the light does
not turn on after you have pulled the plug out of the wall. Sothe moral for
me is, if users report a problem with mail merge, the first question is did
you move the database.
Claudette