Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Webmom2459 Webmom2459 is offline

Default Unresponsive document in Word

I have a document that was created in Word 2003 by another person and emailed
to me. I can open the document only if I open Word first... that was my first
clue. Then if I try to select any text in it, basically it won't. The scroll
bar to scroll through the document doesn't work. I can scroll through it by
pressing the "down" arrow only. Then the kicker is that when I try to close
the document, I get the following Word error: "Microsoft Office Word has
stopped responding. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" and
then Word re-opens. I tried running the application crash tests (forgot what
it's called) and all tests "passed".

Any idea what's wrong with this document? Basically I just want to be able
to copy the text, photos, etc. into a new Publisher document but since I
can't select any text that's not going to work unless I can figure out how
to. I've also tried re-naming the document, and saving as a .docx document
and neither made a difference. Thanks for any help or thoughts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novascotia novascotia is offline

Hi,

I am having the same problems, however it also happens just on a blank
document when 2007 opens. I was fine for a couple of weeks but now I can't do
anything. I can type in a new document but do not have mouse control in the
document itself. the scroll wheel will work but I can't use the mouse to drag
the bar down. Excel is working fine but word isn't. I even uninstalled and
re-installed and it didn't make any difference.

"Webmom2459" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novascotia[_2_] novascotia[_2_] is offline

yes, it seems to be a problem with word in general not just one specific
document. what is strange is that it was working fine last time I was in
word. Now I can't open a document from windows exployer. they will open if I
open Word first then do File - Open but no mouse control. When I go to close
I get the same messages identified by Webmom2459.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novascotia[_2_] novascotia[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I found this in another area but can't find the thread that he is talking
about. In case someone else can I have copied in what he said. If you find
the thread let me know where - thanks

This problem happened because of an update Microsoft pushed through for Word
running on a Vista machine.

Look for the thread "Mouse function failure - 2007 ms word SP1" for the
registry key you need to delete to fix this problem.

"Webmom2459" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novascotia[_2_] novascotia[_2_] is offline

I found the thread -

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...xp=&sloc=en-us

or seach for it on the discussion forum for 'Office'

"Webmom2459" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
novascotia[_2_] novascotia[_2_] is offline

Hi,

I tired it and it worked!!

Go to Start - run - type in regedit

A list of registry keys will display

Delete the following key
HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\ Word\Data

Problem solved