Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

Default Making PDF files for large number of WORD Docs

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

In you Conversion Settings take off "View Adobe PDF result" and "Prompt for
Adobe PDF file name". You should then be able to go the Windows Explorer and
multi select many files, Roght Mouse click, Convert to PDF, and this should
work OK. I am using Adobe 7 Pro and this works fine.
Also within Adobe 7 there is the option to File, Create PDF, From multiple
files, that works well.
Maybe some else here may have a macro that will do this for you.
I probably would not do all 2,500 docs at one time! ;-)
Hope this helps
DeanH
"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

Thanks
It works...but a small catch.
It is craeting a single file for all the docuemnts selected selected.
But what I need one PDF file for one doc
Can you help me
However ...thanks again...for the timely help
seena
"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Have you tried posting your question in the Adobe Acrobat newsgroup? someone over there might have a suggestion.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Srinivasulu B" wrote in message ...
I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

In you orignal posting you did not say you wanted one file from 2,500 files.
;-)
If you use the Adobe, File, Create PDF, from Multiple Documents, this will
combine multiple files into one PDF. Also you have the option to do this in
batches as there is an option to combine a new batch into an extisting
combined file.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?
seena

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

I did not
I don't know how to do it
sdena
"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message ...
Have you tried posting your question in the Adobe Acrobat newsgroup? someone over there might have a suggestion.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Srinivasulu B" wrote in message ...
I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following macro should work for all the documents in a selected folder,
subject your Acrobat settings.

Sub BatchPrintPDF()
On Error GoTo err_FolderContents
Dim FirstLoop As Boolean
Dim DocList As String
Dim DocDir As String
Dim sPrinter As String

With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
DocDir = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With
If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close savechanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
FirstLoop = True
If Left(DocDir, 1) = Chr(34) Then
DocDir = Mid(DocDir, 2, Len(DocDir) - 2)
End If
DocList = Dir$(DocDir & "*.doc")
Do While DocList ""
Documents.Open DocList
With Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrintSetup)
sPrinter = .Printer
.Printer = "Adobe PDF"
.DoNotSetAsSysDefault = True
.Execute
End With
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
ActiveDocument.Close savechanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
DocList = Dir$()
FirstLoop = False
Loop
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
Exit Sub
err_FolderContents:
MsgBox Err.Description
Exit Sub
ActivePrinter = sPrinter
End Sub

Srinivasulu B wrote:
Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?
seena

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each
doc. Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

Hi Mayor,
I ran this macro once.
It worked fine.
Then I tried to do the job for the docs in another directory.
But is is doing the same as previous one.
Am I doing anything wrong ?
seea

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
[...]

Srinivasulu B wrote:
Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?
seena

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each
doc. Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should select the directory using the dialog that pops up when you run
the macro. It sounds as though you have used the same directory selection.

Srinivasulu B wrote:
[...]

Srinivasulu B wrote:
Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?
seena

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each
doc. Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

Are you saying that after using the Multi file into combined file option, it
did not work? Is Adobe 2008 so different from 2007?
I did tests from several folders?drives and this option worked wonderfully,
without further details of what you are, and are not, doing I cannot say why
this is not working.
Hopefully the macro you got previously will work out for you.
Best of luck
DeanH

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?
seena

"Srinivasulu B" wrote:

I have about 2500 docs.
Each is of one page.
I have to make a PDF for each of these docs...one PDF for each doc.
Now at this is what I have to do.
1. Open a doc.
2. Print it (to PDF)
3. Close it
Repeat the process.
Is there some kind of automated way of doing it
seena
PS
I am using Acrobat 8 for making PDF files

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Srinivasulu B Srinivasulu B is offline

Hi Mayaor,
It is working fine.... EXACTLY as it is expected to.
The only thing is that we should change the settings in Acrobat for target
directory.
It is at this point I goofed.
I came to know of it when I noticed that while doing some other printing job
on Excel, the out put PDF file i sgoing to the same directory.
That's how I could realise what is expteced to be done
Thanks a lot for the excellent macro you gave.
seena
[...]

Srinivasulu B wrote:
Unfortunately it didn't
What's the way out ?