Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
P D Sterling P D Sterling is offline

Default Font preview

Am I hallucinating, or could I used to click on Control Panel|Fonts and
preview exactly what I what I was going to use? It seems that now, a
useless window with lots of useless information and one small sentence
is all I see. Help! Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Normally, if you navigate to Control Panel Fonts and double left mouse
click on the font name, a window opens and you see a sample of the font. Is
that the result you are getting?

Tom
MSMVP 1009-2007

"P D Sterling" wrote in message
Am I hallucinating, or could I used to click on Control Panel|Fonts and
preview exactly what I what I was going to use? It seems that now, a
useless window with lots of useless information and one small sentence
is all I see. Help! Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As Tom has said, you can get a font preview in the Fonts dialog, but I
suspect what you're thinking of is the Font list in Word. There is a setting
on the Options tab of Tools | Customize to "Show font names in their font."
If that box is not checked, you see the fonts listed in a single font (same
as any other dropdown). That setting also affects the display of styles in
the Styles dropdown (but not the Styles and Formatting task pane).

"P D Sterling" wrote in message
Am I hallucinating, or could I used to click on Control Panel|Fonts and
preview exactly what I what I was going to use? It seems that now, a
useless window with lots of useless information and one small sentence
is all I see. Help! Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
P D Sterling P D Sterling is offline

gag when I do what you say, it forms a graphic which opens my graphic
editor (Irfanview) - by chance I found that repetitively clicking the
right mouse button, it advances to the next font, so that's at least a
start. I want a nice script to make an invitation, and expected to check
two or three fonts - BTW, I made a spreadsheet and filled a cell with
"QWERTYqwerty" then formatted it to Webdings, Wingdings, Wingdings2, and
Wingdings3 to have them where I can check out the items. Formatting text
should not be this difficult! Thanx for posting!

Tom Ferguson wrote:
Normally, if you navigate to Control Panel Fonts and double left
mouse click on the font name, a window opens and you see a sample of the
font. Is that the result you are getting?

Tom
MSMVP 1009-2007

"P D Sterling" wrote in message
Am I hallucinating, or could I used to click on Control Panel|Fonts and
preview exactly what I what I was going to use? It seems that now, a
useless window with lots of useless information and one small sentence
is all I see. Help! Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson[_3_] Tom Ferguson[_3_] is offline

Ahh! The light clicks on.

When you installed Irfanview, it took over as the default viewer of TrueType
font samples. Normally, it is Windows Font Viewer. You can reverse that
change. Exactly where the settings are depends on the particular Windows
version. Let us know if you want to do that and someone can provide the
instructions.

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

Tom Ferguson wrote:
Normally, if you navigate to Control Panel Fonts and double left
mouse click on the font name, a window opens and you see a sample of the
font. Is that the result you are getting?

Tom
MSMVP 1009-2007

"P D Sterling" wrote in message
Am I hallucinating, or could I used to click on Control Panel|Fonts and
preview exactly what I what I was going to use? It seems that now, a
useless window with lots of useless information and one small sentence
is all I see. Help! Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.
--

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
P D Sterling P D Sterling is offline

Thx Suzanne - I checked what he said, and I got the thing in Word
straight. Now I have to go font shopping to get what I need added. Thanx

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
As Tom has said, you can get a font preview in the Fonts dialog, but I
suspect what you're thinking of is the Font list in Word. There is a setting
on the Options tab of Tools | Customize to "Show font names in their font."
If that box is not checked, you see the fonts listed in a single font (same
as any other dropdown). That setting also affects the display of styles in
the Styles dropdown (but not the Styles and Formatting task pane).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Also, if you just want a printout of what fonts look like, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eGenerator.htm. In the olden
days, before the Symbol dialog was as easy to use as it is now (and when
some of my symbol fonts didn't show up in the dialog), I made charts of the
characters of given fonts, both by ASCII number and by QWERTY layout, but
now it's easier to just use the dialog; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm