Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Turning off automatic paragraph indent Word 2007

Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function whereby
if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE WHOLE PARAGRAPH IS
MOVED?
Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT use
Word.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word Options Proofing Autocorrect Options Autoformat as you type
Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
option you can choose to switch them off.

Gordon wrote:
Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function
whereby if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE
WHOLE PARAGRAPH IS MOVED?
Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT
use Word.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Instead of using the tab key, use Ctrl+T (note Ctrl+Shift+T will undo the
command).

--

Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Gordon" wrote in message
Can someone PLEASE tell me were to turn off this ridiculous function
whereby if you want to indent the second line of a paragraph, THE WHOLE
PARAGRAPH IS MOVED?
Presumably the person who coded this in as default behaviour does NOT use
Word.....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word Options Proofing Autocorrect Options Autoformat as you type
Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it in
2007!

Word has always had these options set by default but as with any other
option you can choose to switch them off.

Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by default - so
simple users like me don't pull their hair out in exasperation, but advanced
users can turn them ON if they want.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Gordon wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word Options Proofing Autocorrect Options Autoformat as you
type Uncheck 'Set left- and first- indent with tabs and backspaces.

Thanks - I knew where to turn this off in 2003, but couldn't find it
in 2007!

Word has always had these options set by default but as with any
other option you can choose to switch them off.

Precisely - IMHO these advanced options should be turned OFF by
default - so simple users like me don't pull their hair out in
exasperation, but advanced users can turn them ON if they want.

I believe the thinking is that if the functions are not turned on, users
will not know they exist.