Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default Redoing Multiple style codes - 2003 Word

I have a file of a book of mine to revise from my publisher in MS Word 2003 .
It has more than 300 "CM" and other formatting styles in it, often with
different fonts and spacing from paragraph to paragraph. Is there an easy way
to put the whole file into just a few styles, like one new simple normal
style and a few heading styles, without doing them all one by one?
thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'd check with the publisher before making any changes to the styles. Many
publishers use specific styles for their publishing program, used to
generate the printed pages of the book, and if the expected styles are not
found it the final product may not be formatted correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

.
It has more than 300 "CM" and other formatting styles in it, often with
different fonts and spacing from paragraph to paragraph. Is there an easy
way
to put the whole file into just a few styles, like one new simple normal
style and a few heading styles, without doing them all one by one?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

I am doing so much revision that they will have to redo all codes anyway, but
it is a mess to work with as every change I make tends to alter the fonts ,
etc. How do I get rid of all these styles?

t.com wrote in message
I have a file of a book of mine to revise from my publisher in MS Word 2003
.
It has more than 300 "CM" and other formatting styles in it, often with
different fonts and spacing from paragraph to paragraph. Is there an easy
way
to put the whole file into just a few styles, like one new simple normal
style and a few heading styles, without doing them all one by one?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Without knowing more about your document, and the styles that are being
used, you can always select all, apply the Normal style, and then apply your
Heading styles where needed. That will remove the styles from the document
contents but it won't remove the styles from the document -- they will still
be available.

If you don't want to manually do this then you may want to check with the
Word VBA group. Someone there may be willing to write a macro for you that
will preserve the formatting for paragraphs that are already formatted with
the Heading styles, set all other paragraphs to the Normal style, and delete
any user-defined styles for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

t.com wrote in message
I have a file of a book of mine to revise from my publisher in MS Word
2003
.
It has more than 300 "CM" and other formatting styles in it, often with
different fonts and spacing from paragraph to paragraph. Is there an
easy
way
to put the whole file into just a few styles, like one new simple
normal
style and a few heading styles, without doing them all one by one?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

thanks. That is true. Many of them are formatting entries. What is the best
way to get them all into Times Roman 12, etc. Will doing a normal style for
the whole mss. do it? Is it possible to put a sample of my mss in these
questions?

t.com wrote in message
I have a file of a book of mine to revise from my publisher in MS Word
2003
.
It has more than 300 "CM" and other formatting styles in it, often with
different fonts and spacing from paragraph to paragraph. Is there an
easy
way
to put the whole file into just a few styles, like one new simple
normal
style and a few heading styles, without doing them all one by one?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you apply Normal style to the entire document, then copy/paste the
content to a new file, you should lose the extraneous styles and formatting.
But this is a pretty drastic thing to do unless you really want to start
from scratch.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

I'd check with the publisher before making any changes to the styles.
Many
publishers use specific styles for their publishing program, used to
generate the printed pages of the book, and if the expected styles are
not
found it the final product may not be formatted correctly.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word