Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Default Printing in Word is making my mouse freeze

For the last couple of days, printing a document in Word 2000 has had the
effect of freezing the mouse (the keyboard remains usable). I've had a
search around to see if this is a known problem but haven't come up with
anything so far.

The only seemingly relevant thing that's changed on my system recently is
that I was emailed a Word document prepared on a different machine (and I
don't know which version of Word was used). But it's not this file which
causes the freeze, but older ones of my own making.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 on an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ PC running at 2.18Ghz
with 1.43Gb of RAM. No other programs are running at the time the problem
occurs.

If anyone has any suggestions about this I'd be very grateful.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are the printer and Mouse USB devices? It sounds far more like there is a
conflict with the USB ports on your computer. Have you tested printing from
a different application to see if that effects the mouse?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
For the last couple of days, printing a document in Word 2000 has had the
effect of freezing the mouse (the keyboard remains usable). I've had a
search around to see if this is a known problem but haven't come up with
anything so far.

The only seemingly relevant thing that's changed on my system recently is
that I was emailed a Word document prepared on a different machine (and I
don't know which version of Word was used). But it's not this file which
causes the freeze, but older ones of my own making.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 on an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ PC running at
2.18Ghz with 1.43Gb of RAM. No other programs are running at the time the
problem occurs.

If anyone has any suggestions about this I'd be very grateful.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bert Coules Bert Coules is offline

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, both printer and mouse are USB (the mouse is a
wireless model) but would a USB conflict just suddenly arise like that?
I've been using exactly the same setup with no problems at all for about a
year.

I can print from Outlook Express and Internet Explorer with no ill-effects.
I haven't tried any other programs since the problem arose.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Have you visited the manufacturer's web site of your printer model to see if
there is an updated driver?
It is always wise to completely remove a driver before installing/reinstalling.

Bruce Sanderson's Windows Web
How to clean up printer drivers

Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, both printer and mouse are USB (the mouse is a
wireless model) but would a USB conflict just suddenly arise like that? I've
been using exactly the same setup with no problems at all for about a year.

I can print from Outlook Express and Internet Explorer with no ill-effects. I
haven't tried any other programs since the problem arose.

Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Mary Sauer wrote:

Have you visited the manufacturer's web site of your printer model to see
if there is an updated driver?

I haven't. I'll try that, thanks.

Bert