Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
barelyabovewater barelyabovewater is offline

Default Table in Word corrupt. File not usable. Please help.

Hello. I have Windows Vista on a laptop and Windows XP on my desk. Both
systems have been used for a Word document I've been working on.
This Word document has a contents table and one other freestanding table.
One of them has become corrupt -- I do not know which one.
I see a discussion string about this, but the solution proposed there does
not work for me. When I open the document, I get the error message about the
corrupt file, but the cursor doesn't work, page down doesn't work, the down
arrow doesn't work, the links above doesn't work. The moment I click on the
document to get a cursor, Word no longer responds (I get the not responding
message up top), and then it just sits there. If I click again anywhere, the
document goes gray, and all I can do is close it.
Can you help me recover this document or at least print it out?
Thank you so much for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It helps to know which version of Word you are using as well as the OS. Have
you tried the Open and Repair option?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"barelyabovewater" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
barelyabovewater barelyabovewater is offline

Terry, I'm using Word 2000. I do not have the Open and Repair option, or at
least I can't locate it. Not on the File Open screen, and not on the Open
button. Not there.
I did get some help from another person, who suggested several things,
including the Open As "Recover Text From Any File" option. That one worked.
Nothing else got me into the file - all attempts to do so just froze the
file, my screen, my computer, and the cat. But the "Recover Text" gave me a
messy file, yet a file. I'm so relieved. Anyway, thank you for your response.
I so appreciate your effort to help.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

[...]

Help fixing a corrupt word file! AL Page Layout 1 January 15th 07 07:05 AM
Corrupt word table.... the end! Slow Learner Tables 0 March 7th 06 12:26 AM
corrupt word table? or operator error? Slow Learner Tables 5 March 6th 06 07:12 PM
word file corrupt andrew New Users 3 March 13th 05 11:44 AM
Word corrupt table problems cturner08 Tables 3 February 10th 05 11:53 AM