Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_4_] Dan[_4_] is offline

Default Using "send to/mail recipient (as attachement)" in Word 2003

My wife uses Word from Office 2003 on her laptop, running XP pro. Her
default mail program is Thunderbird 2.0.0.9, which I believe is MAPI
compliant. When she selects "send to", "mail recipient (as attachment)" is
not present, even though "mail as attachment" is selected under
options/general. The option "mail recipient (for review)" is present in the
"file/send to" dialogue, but is dimmed. "file/send to/mail recipient as
Adobe PDF" is there & non-dimmed, but nothing happens when you select it.
Any ideas how to activate "send to/mail recipient (as attachment) in this
case?

TIA

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See if the following article helps:

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

I know that you are not talking about mail merge, but the information is
probably also applicable to your problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
My wife uses Word from Office 2003 on her laptop, running XP pro. Her
default mail program is Thunderbird 2.0.0.9, which I believe is MAPI
compliant. When she selects "send to", "mail recipient (as attachment)"
is not present, even though "mail as attachment" is selected under
options/general. The option "mail recipient (for review)" is present in
the "file/send to" dialogue, but is dimmed. "file/send to/mail recipient
as Adobe PDF" is there & non-dimmed, but nothing happens when you select
it. Any ideas how to activate "send to/mail recipient (as attachment) in
this case?

TIA

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_4_] Dan[_4_] is offline

See if the following article helps:

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

I know that you are not talking about mail merge, but the information is
probably also applicable to your problem.

--
Hope this helps.

Doug - Thanks for the reply. I modified the registry as suggested in the
article, but it had no effect.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

According to
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f0e4a34f9e060b

and several other messages turned up by searching the archived Word
newsgroups via Google Groups for Thunderbird and Email, Thunderbird is not
MAPI compliant.

--

"Dan" wrote in message
See if the following article helps:

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

I know that you are not talking about mail merge, but the information is
probably also applicable to your problem.

--
Hope this helps.

Doug - Thanks for the reply. I modified the registry as suggested in the
article, but it had no effect.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_4_] Dan[_4_] is offline

According to
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f0e4a34f9e060b

and several other messages turned up by searching the archived Word
newsgroups via Google Groups for Thunderbird and Email, Thunderbird is not
MAPI compliant.

Huh, I thought it was. Is there any work around for this? My wife prefers
to use Tbird for email, it's a new PC, I'm assuming Outlook Express is
loaded, might it be possible to use OE just for this purpose, while leaving
Tbird as the default for email?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

AFAIK, the default mail program must be MAPI compliant to be able to use the
FileSend command. That is, you would have to set OE, or Outlook as the
default mail program.

--

"Dan" wrote in message
According to
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f0e4a34f9e060b

and several other messages turned up by searching the archived Word
newsgroups via Google Groups for Thunderbird and Email, Thunderbird is
not MAPI compliant.

Huh, I thought it was. Is there any work around for this? My wife
prefers to use Tbird for email, it's a new PC, I'm assuming Outlook
Express is loaded, might it be possible to use OE just for this purpose,
while leaving Tbird as the default for email?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Doug,

Both Outlook Express and Thunderbird support 'SimpleMAPI'. The information here may be helpful.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_support

I'm able to use either one in Word 2003 and/or Word 2007 as the email client when it's set as the default (link at the bottom of the
above article).

===========
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in message ...
According to
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f0e4a34f9e060b

and several other messages turned up by searching the archived Word
newsgroups via Google Groups for Thunderbird and Email, Thunderbird is not MAPI compliant.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dan[_4_] Dan[_4_] is offline

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Doug,

Both Outlook Express and Thunderbird support 'SimpleMAPI'. The
information here may be helpful.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/MAPI_support

I'm able to use either one in Word 2003 and/or Word 2007 as the email
client when it's set as the default (link at the bottom of the
above article).

Bob - I saw that before posting, it was what I based my "tbird supports
mapi" claim upon. I only scanned it initially, looking at in more depth
after Doug's reply though, I see it says "Thunderbird's SimpleMAPI support
is buggy. It also doesn't fully implement MAPIAddress, MAPIDetails and (more
importantly) MAPIResolveName. They always return MAPI_E_FAILURE. Some third
party applications that actually only use SimpleMAPI calls check for whether
ExtendedMAPI is supported. This is sloppy programming, and there is nothing
you can do to work around it. Its difficult to figure out why a particular
application works or doesn't work with Thunderbird because there is no MAPI
logging file." Since this isn't a tbird group, I figured I'd drop it.

Oddly, my wife's previous laptop also ran tbird & word 2003 & did have this
functionality.

Oddly II, my XP PC runs OE & Word 2007, it also will not do the emailing.

Both machines have file sharing & server disabled for wireless security,
which we've only begun to use. A long shot probably, but any relation?

Thanks for the continued replies.

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Dan,

Word 2007 uses Outlook Express or Thunderbird for me worked equally well in Windows XP without a problem until the 2.0.0.9
Thunderbird update, while others have reported that for them these do not work.

With the 2.0.0.9 update the Send as Email Attachment still works from within Word, but using the email envelope from within Word now
only works with Outlook or Outlook Express.

In Word 2007 use
Office Files Button=Word Options=Customize
and from the All commands section put
Send to Mail Recipent
and
Email
choices on the Quick Access toolbar

then in either Thunderbird or Outlook express set one or the other to be the default email client (and have a working POP3/SMTP
server connection setup in an account in that email client). If you run Word do either of the added QAT commands work?