Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] keskarsanjit@gmail.com is offline

Default How to merge documents

I have written a book with each chapter being a seperate file. Now i
wish to merge the five chapters into one MS Word file.

I obviousl do not want to lose any formatting or fonts.

Some of my pages in certain files are landscaped while others are
potrait.

In other words the five files are consideraby different in layout,
content and even margins (maybe even page lenght)

What's the best way or the way thta will minimize losses?

Is there a way fro within MS word itself (or third party program) and
where can i get DETAILED information on how to do this successfully??

Thanks for any help here
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You'll need section breaks, at a minimum; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm. This will
preserve layout (page orientation, margins, headers/footers, etc.), but if
you have used the same styles with different formatting in the various
documents, all the paragraphs in a given style will take on the formatting
of the target document. A workaround for this is to slightly rename the
styles in the source documents.

wrote in message
I have written a book with each chapter being a seperate file. Now i
wish to merge the five chapters into one MS Word file.

I obviousl do not want to lose any formatting or fonts.

Some of my pages in certain files are landscaped while others are
potrait.

In other words the five files are consideraby different in layout,
content and even margins (maybe even page lenght)

What's the best way or the way thta will minimize losses?

Is there a way fro within MS word itself (or third party program) and
where can i get DETAILED information on how to do this successfully??

Thanks for any help here

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, inserting a section break in the target document will help not at
all, since the formatting of Section 1 will still be stored in the paragraph
mark at the end of Section 2. For this to work, a section break must be
added at the end of the source document before it is inserted into the
target.

"Peter A" wrote in message
om...
In article 95ff77f7-2724-4064-a339-
,
says...
I have written a book with each chapter being a seperate file. Now i
wish to merge the five chapters into one MS Word file.

I obviousl do not want to lose any formatting or fonts.

Some of my pages in certain files are landscaped while others are
potrait.

In other words the five files are consideraby different in layout,
content and even margins (maybe even page lenght)

What's the best way or the way thta will minimize losses?

Is there a way fro within MS word itself (or third party program) and
where can i get DETAILED information on how to do this successfully??

Thanks for any help here

It's really quite easy:

1) Open the first document
2) Go to the end of the document and insert a next page section break.
3) With the cursor after the section break, use the Insert, File command
to insert the next document.
4) Return to step 2 and repeat for all documents.

The only possible source of problems is if two or more documents have
styles with the same name and different formatting. In this case the
formatting of the first document will be used.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perfection perfection is offline

Nope thisdoes not work. Even after section breaking for new page the
inserted document does nt retain its page margins. It defaults to
that of the earlier file

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perfection perfection is offline

Sorry folks i was doing it wrong -- thanks

If i have embedded my fonts in an inserted file (say file B) does the
file i insert into (say file 'A') automatically embed the fonts of
File B or do i have to change the options of file A to do so

Just one more thing - If i have a table formatextendign right to the
bottom of my last page of a document how would i insert a page section
break wihtout wasting a page (i.e. unnecessarily inserting a blank
page)