Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Katie H. - Ultimate Health Katie H. - Ultimate Health is offline

Default Merging from Excel to Word

I am having a lot of trouble merging from an Excel file into word with
Microsoft Word 2003. Believe it or now, we just upgraded to that a couple
months ago, and ever since, I have had nothing but trouble with it. The main
problems a
1) When I try to merge just the newest data from the spreadsheet into a
letter (first of all, there are not the user-friendly query options there
were in my old 2000 version), I tell Word to merge from line 2140 to line
2170. It actually merges from line 2141 to 2171, so I end up missing my
first line of data and having a blank line of data at the end. So to get the
result I want, I have to tell it to merge from line 2139 to 2169.
2) The other problem I'm having is that when I try and select those same
lines for making labels, instead of being able to type in the range of lines,
it pulls up the whole spreadsheet and I have to scroll to the bottom and
individually check each item that I want to merge into labels. After I do
that slow process, it often still merges the whole spreadsheet in to labels
instead of the 20-40 or so items that I have painstakingly checked
individually!
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it! This is something
I've done weekly for a couple months now with nothing but trouble, and I have
to continue doing it weekly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I tell Word to merge from line 2140 to line
2170. It actually merges from line 2141 to 2171

This could be a result of a misunderstanding: Typically "line 1" or "row 1"
in your Excel sheet would contain the column headings, and line 2 or row 2
would contain the data record 1. So the thing Word thinks of as record 2140
would actually be row 2141 in Excel. Yes, it would be nice if Word could
"think" the same way as Excel, but I don't think there is anything you can
do about this.

(first of all, there are not the user-friendly query options there
were in my old 2000 version)

1. If you haven't done so already, it is probably worth enabling the Mail
Merge toolbar (e.g. using View|Toolbars) rather than using the Wizard. You
can still use the wizard if you need to.
2. You can get at the old Query Options if you need to from the "Edit
recipients" dialog box - click on the small drop-down arrow in one of the
column headers and click Advanced...
3. You can put the old Mail Merge Helper on a toolbar (although I wouldn't
personally recommend it) using e.g. Tools|Customize - select category All
Commands, locate MailMergeHelper in the list of commands and drag it to a
toolbar. You can actually do the same thing for Query Options, but in my
experience it does not always behave in quite the same way as the Query
Options dialog reached via Edit recpients.

I would probably also consider simply copying/pasting my Excel table into a
new sheet, deleting the rows I didn't want to merge, and using that as the
data source.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Merging Excel to Word Geri Mailmerge 4 October 25th 07 10:58 PM
Merging from Excel to Word. Tree Branch[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 22nd 07 05:32 AM
Merging Excel to Word Ness Mailmerge 1 April 27th 07 07:30 AM
Merging excel with Word $ and % format is lost when merging Mailmerge 1 March 31st 05 05:04 PM
Merging from Excel into word Wim Willemse Mailmerge 3 March 31st 05 12:17 PM