Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
renee renee is offline

Default Only get one label

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel. I
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the first one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
renee renee is offline

Should add I am using Windows Vista Ultimate with Office 2003. When I get to
"propagate labels", I hit that button and it only fills in the first
three...none of the others are changed - thus, I now get 3 labels on each
page with some blanks in those 3 labels which are on the first line of each
page of labels.

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel. I
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the first one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Another thing you could have added was that you are (almost certainly) using
a Tablet PC. However, while this problem was originally only exhibited when
using a Tablet PC, there is a possibility that the same thing may be
happening with Vista. If you are not using a Tablet PC, please post back
and confirm that fact.

None the less, the following macro should properly propogate the labels

Macro to overcome the problem with propagation of mail merge field fields
with a label type mail merge when using a Tablet PC and some other Computers
that have Tablet PC Functionality available:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table

Dim i As Long, j As Long

Dim source As Cell, target As Cell

Dim myrange As Range

Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)

Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1)

Set myrange = source.Range

myrange.Collapse wdCollapseStart

ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="NEXT", _

PreserveFormatting:=False

source.Range.Copy

For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(1, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count

For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(i, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

Next i

atable.Cell(1, 1).Range.Fields(1).Delete

End Sub

As it is named the same as the Propogate Label command, it will act in place
of that command if it is stored in the normal.dot template, or better still,
in another template that you save in Word's Startup directory.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel. I
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
renee renee is offline

No, I am using a HP Media Centre 8040N - desktop computer. Might add that I
was able to do mail merges before I got this computer - but I then had
Windows XP. Is it possible that Windows Vista is what is messing it up?
Hard to believe Vista won't work with Office 2003.

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel. I
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is possible that Vista is causing the problem as there was one other
poster to this newsgroup who had a similar problem. To allow me to try and
get to the bottom of this, could you send a copy of the mail merge main
document to me at

If the problem is what I think it is, running the macro that I gave you
should work around the problem, but please send the main document before
running the macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel.
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the
first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on
the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
renee renee is offline

I'm sorry, I can't do that - it's a list of clientelle which is confidential
to our office that I was working on at home. However, I have taken the main
list to a friend's computer (running Windows XP) and the merge worked
perfectly - so it is definitely Vista that created my problem. That is hard
to believe!

If I were to eventually install Office 2007 - which I have hesitated to do
because it is so different and I don't have time to learn it (also don't much
care for it) - would that make a difference to mail merge? Thanks a lot for
your help.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

It is possible that Vista is causing the problem as there was one other
poster to this newsgroup who had a similar problem. To allow me to try and
get to the bottom of this, could you send a copy of the mail merge main
document to me at

If the problem is what I think it is, running the macro that I gave you
should work around the problem, but please send the main document before
running the macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from excel.
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the
first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard on
the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Renee,

Following a prompt from Doug I checked out the situation on Vista. There has
always been a problem with at least some tablet PCs in this area. Some
versions of Vista incorporate features that were previously only in the
Tablet PC version of Windows XP, it seems that this problem can now appear
on Vista as well. Here, my configuration is slightly different from yours (I
have Office 2007 on Vista 64) but...
a. I also have a tablet device attached to the PC
b. In essence, if the tablet device is connected to the PC, I see the label
propagation problem. If I disconnect the tablet device, the problem goes
away (e.g. if I restart Word).

At the moment I do not know exactly what is loaded when I plug in the tablet
device. What I do notice is that if I restart Vista with the tablet plugged
in, I see a different logon message (as well as the usual Ctrl-alt-del, it
says I can "press the Windows button" or some such - this is probably a
reference to any Windows button that lets you start your PC when you don't
have a keyboard (for example, it could be on a Windows Media Center remote,
the special "button" that tablet PCs have - I really don't know what else.)

So snce you are using a HP Media Centre, perhaps it also has such a device,
and perhaps it might even be simple to disconnect and see if Word's
behaviour changes.

FWIW I first reported the tablet problem nearly 3 years ago so it is a
little disappointing that it has not been eradicated but I suppose it's time
to ask Microsoft to have another look.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

It is possible that Vista is causing the problem as there was one other
poster to this newsgroup who had a similar problem. To allow me to try
and
get to the bottom of this, could you send a copy of the mail merge main
document to me at

If the problem is what I think it is, running the macro that I gave you
should work around the problem, but please send the main document before
running the macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from
excel.
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the
first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can
anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard
on
the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
renee renee is offline

I was going to send it to you but can't find where to add an attachment???

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

It is possible that Vista is causing the problem as there was one other
poster to this newsgroup who had a similar problem. To allow me to try
and
get to the bottom of this, could you send a copy of the mail merge main
document to me at

If the problem is what I think it is, running the macro that I gave you
should work around the problem, but please send the main document before
running the macro.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"RENEE" wrote in message
news No, I am using a HP Media Centre 8040N - desktop computer. Might add
that

"RENEE" wrote:

I have been trying for an hour to do a label merge to word from
excel.
followed the instructions on:

exactly, but even though I do say - all labels - I get either the
first
one
or the first three, but I have over 1700 labels to merge. Can
anyone
please
tell me what I am doing wrong? I even tried the mail merge wizard
on
the
Tools - mailings toolbar, but still only get a max of 3 labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Renee,

Send it via email to

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my