Ultraman

Default How do I link captions

I would like to be able to link a caption for a figure to the text that
references it in the body of the document. My goal is to be able to
automatically update all the references within the document when I change the
caption. I am using MS Word.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Ultraman

All this functionality is built in to Word.

Insert the caption first. To insert the caption, use Insert Reference
Caption (or Insert Caption in older versions of Word).

Then create the reference to the caption. To refer to the caption, use
Insert Reference Cross-reference (or Insert Cross-reference in older
versions of Word).

Note that the caption and the cross-reference to the caption are both
fields. They will update, but not automatically. Use F9 to update one field,
or ctrl-a F9 to update all fields in the document. And make sure you tick
the box at Tools Options Print Update Fields. That will make sure Word
updates the fields just before printing.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Ultraman" wrote in message
I would like to be able to link a caption for a figure to the text that
references it in the body of the document. My goal is to be able to
automatically update all the references within the document when I change
the
caption. I am using MS Word.

Link to Excel (Formatting Problem) bw Microsoft Word Help 2 December 13th 04 11:04 AM
Remove link from Excel Chart in Word Stúfur Microsoft Word Help 1 December 10th 04 05:50 PM
Link bhm7319 Microsoft Word Help 2 December 9th 04 12:51 PM
Template link prevents word doc from opening Scrich Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 03:40 PM
Word should let me put Equation captions in-line th77 Microsoft Word Help 2 November 24th 04 12:29 AM