Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Checklist style "........." formatting

Hi all,

Quick question about creating a checklist style document. I'm trying to
acheive the following look in MS Word, without doing a lot of work. Something
along the lines of an aviation style checklist document in the following
format, for example:

Valve 1.................OPEN
Switch 24...............CLOSED
Item ABEEDDCC.....CHECK SECURE

This is the same sort of style that a Table of Contents list generates for
you. So what I want is for the right "column" (the open/closed words) to be
aligned left, and then have the left column words to be followed by the
.......... over to the right column. Of course, the words in the left column
will be of varying length. You can see an example of what I'm talking about
he http://www.pilotlist.org/manuels/ces...2/check172.jpg . So I need
some way to automate the ..... and get all the letters to line up in the
right column too. I don't have much experience with macros (if that's what's
needed) but I can give it a shot (I've got some minor experience with
programming, although I'm not sure if macros are the same thing!)

I could type the Word 1............Word 2 by hand, but that would be
redundant and take a long time. Any suggestions on how to do this? I
appreciate all and any help I get.

-Duncan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Duncan

You need to format the relevant paragraphs with a right-aligned tab
positioned at the right margin with a .... tab leader.

Or, create a style with the appropriate tab and apply the style to the
relevant paragraphs.

Then just type (eg) "Valve 1[TAB]OPEN".

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Duncan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Duncan Duncan is offline

Aha! Thanks for the help. I had used tabs before, but I guess I overlooked
the tab "leaders". Thanks you kindly for the help again.

-Duncan