Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex Alex is offline

Default how manage templates across company

Simple question: I do not want that all the employees use their own (word)
templates. When pressing "New", they should be provided a centrally managed
template specific for our company. How should such a solution be implemented
with office 2003? Moreover, if the template is updated, old documents, based
on this template, should be automatically updates according with the
template.
--
Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Simple questions they may be, but there are no simple answers.

1. You cannot share the Normal.dot file among multiple users in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468
2. You should provide document templates pertinent to the tasks in hand and
supply them to users via a shared workgroup folder and train the users to
adopt those templates for those tasks.
3. Old documents will not be updated automatically if you change the
template. It would help to know what it is you might change that needs to be
added or changed in an old document. You might consider using includetext
fields for parts of the template that might change in the future. It is then
a simpler task to update those added texts.

Alex wrote:
Simple question: I do not want that all the employees use their own
(word) templates. When pressing "New", they should be provided a
centrally managed template specific for our company. How should such
a solution be implemented with office 2003? Moreover, if the template
is updated, old documents, based on this template, should be
automatically updates according with the template.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ben M ben M is offline

Alex,

It's possible to change the default template folder to a share on your
network. In Word, go to Tools -- Options -- File Locations and point
Workgroup Templates to the share.

"Alex" wrote:

Simple question: I do not want that all the employees use their own (word)
templates. When pressing "New", they should be provided a centrally managed
template specific for our company. How should such a solution be implemented
with office 2003? Moreover, if the template is updated, old documents, based
on this template, should be automatically updates according with the
template.
--
Alex

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Alex Alex is offline

thank's G.

3. say that we would like to change the "style" in our templates, then, it
feels natural to think that content in documents based on the template to be
updated as well. just like CSS works in web design.

--
Alex