Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Normal.dot for Word 2007 and other templates

Can someone please tell me where to load my customized Normal.dot for Word
2007 and also where all my other templates should be loaded. At the moment
with Office 2003 we just went into file locations and told it where to point
to our Workgroup (firm ltrs, memos, briefs etc..) and User (Normal.dot)
Templates. How do I do this in 2007

Also, I know I'll have a user ask this. In Word 2007, can you move the
ribbons to the bottom of the window? I know it's ridiculous, but we have a
user that has all her Word 2003 toolbars on the bottom of the Word screen
because of her glasses. I know this will be an issue for her when we upgrade
to 2007 in a few months.

Much Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If you're moving the Normal.dot from Word 2003, it still goes in the
Templates folder. You'll need to open it directly in Word 2007 and
click the Convert command on the Office button (a.k.a. the File menu
replacement), then save it as Normal.dotm in the new file format.

To find the Templates and Workgroups folders, click the Office button,
choose Word Options at the bottom, click the Advanced tab, and scroll
all the way to the bottom. There you'll find a File Locations button
that takes you to the same old dialog.

For your second question, the answer is no, the Ribbon cannot be moved
at all. I'm sure others will be along shortly to tell you about the
add-ins that will display the old menus and toolbars and let you dock
them to any edge of the screen. I haven't tried any of them, so I
won't express any opinion.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:30:02 -0700, Kim
wrote:

Can someone please tell me where to load my customized Normal.dot for Word
2007 and also where all my other templates should be loaded. At the moment
with Office 2003 we just went into file locations and told it where to point
to our Workgroup (firm ltrs, memos, briefs etc..) and User (Normal.dot)
Templates. How do I do this in 2007

Also, I know I'll have a user ask this. In Word 2007, can you move the
ribbons to the bottom of the window? I know it's ridiculous, but we have a
user that has all her Word 2003 toolbars on the bottom of the Word screen
because of her glasses. I know this will be an issue for her when we upgrade
to 2007 in a few months.

Much Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

In Word 2007, can you move the
ribbons to the bottom of the window? I know it's ridiculous, ....

For your second question, the answer is no, ...

No, it is *not* ridiculous. However, Jay is right - Microsoft has decided
that the Ribbon will be fixed at the top of the window for everyone
regardless of what they want. You have two choices - live with it or keep
your money. Although there are tools starting to appear which mimic
old-style toolbars none have so far managed to move - or remove - the
ribbon; maybe someone will work out how to do it in time.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP