LurfysMa

Default Persistent tab at .67" in TOC styles

I created a document with outline style header styles (1.a.3...). I
modified the TOC styles to match. The TOC styles are all the same
except for the first tab, which is set a little further out for each
lower (higher numbered) TOC level to make room for the outline
characters.

The TOC1 style is based on Normal and all the others are based on
TOC1.

Here's my problem.

For some reason, all of the TOC styles seem to have a tab set at .67",
but I can't find where it's set.

If I edit the style definition (Format | Style | Modify | Format |
Tabs), it is not there.

If I place the cursor on any line of the TOC, I see in the ruler bar,
the tabs trhat are defined plus that .67" tab.

If I manually delete it from the ruler bar, then the TOC formats
correctly, but if I select the TOC and update fields (F9), the trab at
..67" returns.

It reminds me of that old folk song about the cat that kept coming
back.

How can I get rid of that tab?

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

LurfysMa

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:40:27 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

We have another name for it. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCJasonTabs.htm

Thanks for that pointer. Some of the hanging indent settings were not
identical to first tab settings. Fixing that fixed the problem.

If this has been around since Word 97, MSFT is certainly being casual
about fixing it. Is it still broken in Word 2003? We will be upgrading
to Windows XP and Office 2003 in a few weeks.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2000 SP-3 on Win 2000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com