Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Susan L Susan L is offline

Default Word Styles Changing

We have a document that is used as a template (but not a .dot). Recently, we
opened a document about to be delivered to our customer, only to find that 5
or 6 tables formatted with custom-made styles (e.g., "Table Text") had
changed themselves to, for example, 12 point all caps, centered, space above
12, space below 6. The rest of the tables in the document were OK, and
following the style specifications we had set.

None of our custom styles are defined as automatically update. However,
characteristic of Word 2003, if a user makes a change in a style, then a new
style is created (e.g., Table Text + All caps, etc.). In the affected tables,
the styles were like this.

We tried reapplying the original styles, but that did not change the
formatting. We tried converting the tables to text; we tried copying and
pasting as unformatted text and then reapplying the styles. That (finally)
worked.

We also tried doing a Save and Repair on the document before doing the paste
unformatted text action, which produced no results.

Can anyone explain what is going on? I know there are some problems with
using Reading View. It is possible that Reading View might be the source of
this problem?

--
susan