Mike Hyndman

Default Unresponsive doc hogging CPU

What is happening when an open Word doc stops responding to the
keyboard and mouse and Task Manager shows that Word is using 100% CPU
usage.
I sorted it by copying (CTRL+A,CTRL+C) the document immediately on
opening and pasting it into a new document, which works just fine.
Just like to know what could be happening with the document that would
account for this behaviour.
TIA
Mike H
Chad Harris

Mike--one of the many excellent Word experts here might have more specific
info. But two things I'd do in general for this that may not be Office/Word
specific:

It seems that there is a conflict and that document is gulping resources.
Its interaction with spyware could do it--so see if running Anti-Spyware and
SFC will help you avoid this happening.

1) Run System File Checker to make sure that you have the correct files and
..dlls to minimize process freezing. Run MSFT Antispyware and Run Adaware.

2)Make sure if your Win OS is XP SP1 or SP2 that you update the registry to
point to the install files of that particular service pack on the HD or use
a slipstreamed CD because it will default ask for the CD:

See by MSFT MVP Mark Liron:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

and see:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Also I would run Detect and Repair from HelpDetect and Repair or in MSFT
Word or from Add/Remove in whatever OS you're running.

Best,

Chad Harris
________________________

"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
news
What is happening when an open Word doc stops responding to the
keyboard and mouse and Task Manager shows that Word is using 100% CPU
usage.
I sorted it by copying (CTRL+A,CTRL+C) the document immediately on
opening and pasting it into a new document, which works just fine.
Just like to know what could be happening with the document that would
account for this behaviour.
TIA
Mike H

Mike Hyndman

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:28:13 -0500, "Chad Harris"
wrote:

[...]

Much appreciated, many thanks
Mike H