Lana A Li

Default Deleting Old Versions of Fonts

Hello. I currently own a copy of Microsoft Word 2003, running on a Windows XP
System. I have a FONT problem.

I notice that when I am using the "Word Art" feature of Microsoft Word, I am
presented with quite an extensive array of different fonts from which to
select. One of my favorites from this particular list is the font called
"Script."

I would really like to use this particular font in my normal typing. I think
that it would look rather nice as a normal type font; however, I cannot seem
to find this font when I am doing regular typing. It seems that I can only
use this particular font in the "Word Art" feature of Microsoft Word.
"Script" (NOTE: NOT Script MT Bold, but the regular one) does not appear on
the normal font list.

Obviously, my computer MUST have this font installed if the font is showing
up at all, even if only under one portion of Word. However, to be sure, I
attempted installing the font "Script" to my computer from the "Fonts" folder
in the "Control Panel." Upon trying to install it, I instantly got a message
reading, €œThe Script (All res) font is already installed. To install a new
version, first remove the old version.€ So, is this my actual problem? I need
to install a new version? How, exactly, would I go about deleting the "old
version" from Microsoft Word without deleting the entire font from my
computer altogether? Or is there just a specific location in which I need to
look in order to obtain this font for regular use? I have searched EVERYWHERE
on my hard drive, and I do not seem to be able to find it. I am most
frustrated and confused, to say the very least.

Any help, tips, or answers at all would be IMMENSELY appreciated. Thank you
all so much in advance. I hope I was able to explicate this problem very
clearly. Thanks again.

Graham Mayor

Script is a screen font. Word will only display fonts the current prionter
is capable of printing. WordArt is a little more flexible.

Lana A Li wrote:
[...]

install it, I instantly got a message reading, "The Script (All res)
font is already installed. To install a new version, first remove the
old version." So, is this my actual problem? I need to install a new
version? How, exactly, would I go about deleting the "old version"
from Microsoft Word without deleting the entire font from my computer
altogether? Or is there just a specific location in which I need to
look in order to obtain this font for regular use? I have searched
EVERYWHERE on my hard drive, and I do not seem to be able to find it.
I am most frustrated and confused, to say the very least.

Any help, tips, or answers at all would be IMMENSELY appreciated.
Thank you all so much in advance. I hope I was able to explicate this
problem very clearly. Thanks again.

Thomas M

Graham,

I have an issue regarding the Courier font that seems like it is somewhat
related to the issue of this thread. We have an HP LaserJet 4100 that DOES
support the Courier font. On my machine (XP Pro and Word 2000), when the HP
LaserJet 4100 is selected as the printer the Courier font appears in the
Word font list. This is in agreement with your comment below. I have
successfully composed Word documents using the Courier font and printed them
to this printer.

However, we have another machine (Also running XP Pro and Word 2000) on
which the Courier font does NOT appear in the Word font list when the HP
LaserJet 4100 is the selected printer. I have confirmed that the Courier
font is installed on the machine. If the printer supports the Courier font,
then why would that font appear in the Word font list on one machine, but
not on the other, when both machines have the font installed? Could it be a
problem with the printer driver?

--Tom

Lana A Li wrote:
[...]

Thomas M

I think that I have resolved this problem, at least partly.

I logged on to the machine that I previously used to print a document to the
HP LaserJet 4100 using the Courier font. I switched to the 4100 printer and
the Courier font was NOT listed in the Word font list, whereas I thought
that it was yesterday. The only thing that I can think of is that yesterday
I initially had a different printer selected--one that supports Courier--and
that I composed my test document using Courier BEFORE switching to the 4100
printer. When you do that, Courier will appear in the font box even when
the selected printer does not support Courier, but it will NOT appear in the
drop-down list of fonts. Hope that's not too confusing. Anyway, this
explains why I thought that Courier was appearing in the font list on my
machine, and not on the other machine.

There is still one thing that I am wondering about, though. The LaserJet
4100 printer DOES in fact support the Courier font (it's on a list of
supported fonts that I printed directly from the printer's control panel),
but the font does not appear in the Word font list when a printer that is
using a PCL 6 driver is selected. I added a printer that uses a PostScript
driver, and the Courier font shows up in the Word font list when that
printer is selected. Can someone explain this situation?

--Tom