Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Default Cross-references and Outline View in Word 2003

When I use outline view to rearrange the order of headings in my manuals, it
breaks my cross-references. In the following example, I want to use outline
view to move Heading C above B without breaking a cross-reference to B that
is under D. Follow me? Sorry, I'm trying to make this easy. ;-) Please
notice the square brackets around Heading B. They represent the bookmark
used by the X-ref under D.

Heading A
Body text for A.

[Heading B]
Body text for B.

Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading D
Hey see "Heading B" for really neat info.

When I move C above B, C takes the opening bookmark with it. Instead of
having a bookmark that points just to Heading B, it points to C, body text
under C, and Heading B. The cross-reference to this bookmark now show all of
this information.

Heading A
Body text for A.

[Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading B]
Body text for B.

Heading D
Hey see "Heading C
Body text for C.

Heading B" for really neat info.

Does anyone know how to avoid moving bookmarks when using outline view to
move paragraphs around? If not, don't worry about it. Currently, I use cut
and paste to avoid this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_124_] Henk57[_124_] is offline

Did you update the fields in the document? Ctrl+A, F9 ?

;2483481']When I use outline view to rearrange the order of headings in

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You should be able to prevent the problem if you do as follows:

1. Before moving the heading, click at the _end_ of the heading/paragraph
immediately _above_ the place where you want to move the heading and press
Return to insert an empty paragraph.

2. Then drag the heading you want to move and drop it in the empty paragraph
you inserted.

3. Finally, delete the empty paragraph that remains.

The procedure above cannot be used in case you want to move the heading to
the start of the document (because you have no preceding paragraph).

See the demos found at the following address for an explanation:
http://www.thedoctools.com/index.php...erence_trouble

The demo below Problem 3 illustrates the problem you have experienced.
The demo below Problem 1 illustrates why pressing Return at the end of a
heading will not spoil any cross-references to that heading.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Jose Valdes" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

My dear friend,

Yes, I update the field, and the cross-reference brings across more
information than I want because MS Word has so helpfully moved the opening
bracket of my bookmark without my consent or knowledge. Your question
suggests that I have failed to explain my problem despite my best efforts.
I apologize for my lack of clarity and thank you for replying nonetheless.

Sincerely,
A guy who writes too much on this newsgroup and not enough in his manuals

'Jose Valdes[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

If anyone is reading, please give me feedback. Why did I fail to get more
replies to this message?

A. No one knows the answer.
B. No one read the message because it is too long.
C. No one understood the message because it was not written clearly.
D. No one thought the problem was important enough because it has a
workaround.
E. Write in your own answer.

I cheerfully welcome all flames and public floggings in the hopes of posting
better messages on this newsgroup. ;-)

"Jose Valdes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Have you read my answer? (posted november 16).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Jose Valdes" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

No, sorry. I did not get any message from you. Please forward it to
and post it to this newsgroup so everyone can
benefit.

On November 16th, I got the dreaded "Your mailbox is over its size limit"
from the System Administrator. I have since cleaned up my mailbox with
AutoArchive and I should get all email sent my way. Sorry!

"Jose Valdes" wrote:

[...]

;-)
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Lene!

Thanks! You have correctly diagnosed the problem. Your online demo is also
very helpful!

I cannot see your messaged, posted on Nov 16th, while using Outlook Express
to view this newsgroup. When I follow the link below, however, I see the
message just fine in the Web interface. I don't know why your message
appears in one place, but not the other. This incident makes me wonder how
many other messages I have failed to see and what to do about it.

Thanks!
José

Just to be sure that you have my answer, you will find a copy below. I can
reproduce the problem you describe and the procedure I have described works.
My answer is posted in the thread where you posted the question:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...5-4fba39be8f45
Are you sure, you cannot see it?

--------------COPY OF ANSWER START-----------------------------
[...]

--------------COPY OF ANSWER END-----------------------------

Best regards

Lene Fredborg
DocTools
www.thedoctools.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
14:55

"Jose Valdes" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

My apologies to Lene Fredborg who correctly answered my question. I don't
know why, but his message (posted on Nov 16th) is invisible to my
installation of Outlook Express 6. See below for more details. Sorry! José

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure why you didn't see it, either; I'm using OE6 and did see it,
but sometimes the way messages are threaded makes answers to the original
post less obvious if a long thread has developed above them. Also note that
Lene is female.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Default More apologies to Lene Fredborg

In this message, my goal is to write an apology to Lene Fredborg without
sticking a foot in my mouth and writing additional apologies. ;-) Here I go:

Lene, I am sorry that I have been addressing you with personal pronouns such
as he and him. As an ignorant American male who assumes that everyone I deal
with is also male, I have made this mistake often and should keep a standard
form letter for this apology. Maybe, there's a greeting card from Hallmark
that addresses this apology. I'll look into it. ;-)

To everyone on this small planet, please continue to let me know when I have
offended people who have helped me through my little MS Word problems. I
don't think I can make it at my job if I alienate the community on this
newsgroup. ;-)

Sorry!
José

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I'm not sure why you didn't see it, either; I'm using OE6 and did see it,
but sometimes the way messages are threaded makes answers to the original
post less obvious if a long thread has developed above them. Also note
that
Lene is female.

so
all may benefit.

"Jose Valdes" wrote in
message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Suzanne,

Considering the number of boneheaded mistakes that I have made on this
newsgroup, you are quite right to assume that I cannot follow the thread of
a simple conversation. ;-) In this isolated case, I am innocent. Please look
at the attached PNG file and you will see a screen capture of my Outlook
Express 6 window. You will see that no message is displayed for November
16th by Lene Fredborg. I have searched on her name and other key words such
as "outline" to no avail. The message is not there. I am sorry that you
cannot reproduce my problem with your install of OE6.

Anyway, Suzanne, thank you for pointing out my other, numerous, egregious
errors.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_125_] Henk57[_125_] is offline

Dear Jose, I dont think anyone here think you are an offending person.
No need to be hard on yourself.
You said your question wasnt clear, when I asked "Did you update the
fields". Well, I just wanted to be sure that the obvious was done,
before digging deeper. Then Lene came with a very to the point answer,
so there was no need to go into more detail. Glad yr problem is solved,
and thanks to Lene: I learned something about Word's mysteries also.

'Jose Valdes[_3_ Wrote:
;2487222']Suzanne,

[...]

...-
I'm not sure why you didn't see it, either; I'm using OE6 and did see
it,
but sometimes the way messages are threaded makes answers to the
original
post less obvious if a long thread has developed above them. Also note

that
Lene is female.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jose Valdes" wrote in
message
...-
My apologies to Lene Fredborg who correctly answered my question. I
don't
know why, but his message (posted on Nov 16th) is invisible to my
installation of Outlook Express 6. See below for more details. Sorry!

José

"Jose Valdes" wrote in-
message-
...-
When I use outline view to rearrange the order of headings in my--
manuals,--
it breaks my cross-references. In the following example, I want to
use
outline view to move Heading C above B without breaking a--
cross-reference--
to B that is under D. Follow me? Sorry, I'm trying to make this
easy.--
;-)--
[...]

-

-
-

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That really is mysterious. I wonder if it could have anything to do with the
fact that you have this thread marked as "watched." ISTR that there is some
sort of bug concerning watched threads, but I can't find anything relevant
with Google, so probably I'm making it up.

I usually read NGs with read messages hidden, so I had to Show All Messages
and hunt for this thread; when I did, however, I saw all the messages in the
thread, including Lene's 11/16 one.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

No problem at all. You are forgiven ;-)

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Jose Valdes" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jose Valdes[_3_] Jose Valdes[_3_] is offline

Thanks for the reply. By the way, don't take the non-technical information
in my posts too seriously. My self-flagellation was an attempt at humor. ;-)

"Henk57" wrote in message

Dear Jose, I dont think anyone here think you are an offending person.
No need to be hard on yourself.
You said your question wasnt clear, when I asked "Did you update the
fields". Well, I just wanted to be sure that the obvious was done,
before digging deeper. Then Lene came with a very to the point answer,
so there was no need to go into more detail. Glad yr problem is solved,
and thanks to Lene: I learned something about Word's mysteries also.

;2487222']Suzanne,