Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chaitons

Default Lost data in Mail Merge

Our firm is having some problems with the mail merge feature in
Microsoft Word. Once data has been entered into the data table and the
table is closed, some data is immediately lost. It's never the same
fields, and the number of lost fields is always different. Sometimes
it will be as many as 6 fields lost, other times, just 1. The firm
uses Word 2002, and employs a number of custom macros. However, the
macros do not appear to be the cause, because everyone in the firm uses
the macros, but only a few people have this problem. Do you have any
suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
ChaitonsPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Chaitons,

Our firm is having some problems with the mail merge feature in
Microsoft Word. Once data has been entered into the data table and the
table is closed, some data is immediately lost. It's never the same
fields, and the number of lost fields is always different. Sometimes
it will be as many as 6 fields lost, other times, just 1. The firm
uses Word 2002, and employs a number of custom macros. However, the
macros do not appear to be the cause, because everyone in the firm uses
the macros, but only a few people have this problem.

What's the data source? Is it a source created using Word 2002's tools?

Does the information in this article apply?
WD2000: Data Is Lost When You Type Information Through a Data Form

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chaitons

Thank you very much for replying.

We enter the data through the Mail Merge Data form. In order to get
all the fields for our documents, we use a seperate document that we
call data.doc. This data.doc is basically just a table with all the
needed fields as headers. Sorry, but I don't know how this data.doc
was created (I wasn't the one who set it up). I'm not sure if this
answers your question.

--
ChaitonsPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It sounds like this form is being used by multiple people as you say only a
few people have the problem. Could it be that those who have the problem
are trying to add data to the form when it has been opened as read only
because someone else has it open?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Chaitons" wrote in message

Thank you very much for replying.

We enter the data through the Mail Merge Data form. In order to get
all the fields for our documents, we use a seperate document that we
call data.doc. This data.doc is basically just a table with all the
needed fields as headers. Sorry, but I don't know how this data.doc
was created (I wasn't the one who set it up). I'm not sure if this
answers your question.

--
ChaitonsPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chaitons

We were just thinking that. Right now we have both the data.doc and the
existing documents on a network that anyone can access. If we loaded
those files locally onto each user's computer, then they would be the
only ones accessing them. I will go ahead and try that.

Will get you updated.

Thanks.

--
ChaitonsPosted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

If you have them locally then any changes made in one will not be reflected
in another. This may be difficult to manage