Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
littlelamb littlelamb is offline

Default opening my files has gone slow - sometimes refuses

Any idea why my files take so long to open and sometimes I get the message
they can't find them although I've clicked on it. I have defraged Help
please.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Noob-tech[_2_] Noob-tech[_2_] is offline

if it's just one particular file it could be corrupted (which i'm sure
occured to you already) but if it's basically everything your trying to open,
you might try running a scan-disk on your drive. That will find and fix minor
errors on the disk if there are any.
- right click "c:\" drive
- properties , tools tab , error checking, check both
"automatically fix..." and
"scan for and attempt...."

it's going to tell you that it's going to have schedule it on the next
restart. Say ok and restart.

if none of that helps, Check task manager and see if theres anything eating
up a lot of memory, (other than word).

you should also run "msconfig" from "run" and strip down start-up services
and startup programs to the bare essentials. be careful with it though, don't
cut off something your machine has to have. reasearch the process name if
your not sure what it is.

best of luck