Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rutabaga Rutabaga is offline

Default Navigation Links on Web Page w/o Using Frames

Hi,

I'm using Word to create a browser-based template for work instructions (I'm
restricted to Word for various practical reasons). I'd like to create
navigation links on the left side of the page corresponding to sections of
the document, but I don't want to use frames. I'd like the links to be
static, while the body of the document is scrollable. Can this be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

So, you want web page features, but refuse to use web page creation
software to get them? I don't think this is going to work out well. If
that is what you want, Word is not the answer.

In a Word document, you could anchor a vertical list in the header to
get it to repeat on every page. However, for the links to be active,
people will either have to click into header view or use print preview
(I think, I've not tested links in a header). Reading these webpages
will give you the information to teach yourself how to set up such an
effect, which *might* give what you describe.

More Complex Letterhead section of:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/AnchorToHeader.htm
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm

However, that would be the effect *in Word*--and whether it works for
what you want depends on how people are reading your page, which you
don't really specify. You say you are limited to Word for practical
reasons--well, this is not a practical request to make of Word. Even if
what I described works in Word, Save As Webpage in Word will not convert
the effect. If people are going to read it in HTML, then I strongly
suggest you use webpage creation software--spend some money, learn a new
skill, do the job right. Alternatively, create a regular Word doc with a
TOC, export the Word doc to PDF, and Acrobat should re-create the TOC as
navigation links in a side pane.

By the way--it's impossible to use HTML frames in Word. Word frames are
completely different.

Rutabaga wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word to create a browser-based template for work instructions (I'm
restricted to Word for various practical reasons). I'd like to create
navigation links on the left side of the page corresponding to sections of
the document, but I don't want to use frames. I'd like the links to be
static, while the body of the document is scrollable. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rutabaga Rutabaga is offline

Hi Daiya Mitchell,

Thank your for your response. It offers promise.

I'm limited to Word because users must be able to use and modify the
template I create for an otherwise simple instruction document. Neither
they, nor I, have any kind of Web Page software installed at our
workstations, and the documents themselves are meant to be used in both
browser- and non-browser-based environments.

I appreciate your detailed response. Very cool.

Rutabaga wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word to create a browser-based template for work instructions (I'm
restricted to Word for various practical reasons). I'd like to create
navigation links on the left side of the page corresponding to sections of
the document, but I don't want to use frames. I'd like the links to be
static, while the body of the document is scrollable. Can this be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Daiya,

Wellll, not quite impossible.
Word 2000 thru 2007 (at least in the Windows versions g) do support HTML frame pages (in Word's unique way g).

In Word 2003, for example,
Format=Frames=New Frames Page
automatically switches the view to 'Web Layout' and brings up the'Frames' toolbar and the Insert=Hyperlink dialog box [Target]
feature should include a choice of frames in a frameset.

In Word 2000 and 2002 it was a bit easier, as the Word Web Page Wizard (discontinued after Word 2002) could build a web page with
frames for you and you could tweak it from there.

In Word 2007 you can open an older version document or template that has a user created new toolbar (Tools=Customize in the older
version) that contains the commands from the older 'Frames' toolbar or in Word 2007 add to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) the
commands for

Frames
Delete Frame
New Frame Above
New Frame Below
New Frame Left
New Frame Right
New Frames Page (also included in 'Frames ')
Web Design Mode

The commands for
Frame Properties and
Save Current Frame As
will be on the right click menu.

Each 'web frame' is stored as a separate Word document and how those are managed (as a set or as individual files) in Windows
Explorer can depend on your Folder options in Explorer.

In Word you can use a borderless 'frame above' to hold navigation controls, similar to putting links in a Word document header, but
that wouldn't support the original poster's request to have Navigation links on a Word Web Document w/o using frames.

=======================
"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message ...
[snip]
By the way--it's impossible to use HTML frames in Word. Word frames are completely different.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thanks, Bob, good to know. Just as well she requested no frames, or I
would have given totally bad information.

MacWord's HTML features are behind WinWord's, probably a blessing.
Different market, the Mac ng rarely gets "how can I make Word behave
like a webpage?" questions.

Daiya

frames in a page? Jeff New Users 2 May 14th 06 12:29 AM
Web Page Preview - Frames Goowa Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 06 06:30 PM
Copying a frames page to a cd Ryan Microsoft Word Help 1 September 10th 05 12:53 AM
Frames Page [email protected] Page Layout 0 April 14th 05 04:29 PM
Frames Page maxine513 Page Layout 0 April 14th 05 04:28 PM