Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim[_2_] Tim[_2_] is offline

Default format help

I thought after 10 years of computing I knew alot about alot, but I need to create a
simple flier and can't accomplish what I need in any program, much less Word. I need
to create a 3 1/2" column ad that I can duplicate three wide on a horizontal 8 1/2 X
11 sheet so they would duplicate 3 to a page for cutting. Can someone tell me where I
can go to learn how to do this?

MS Word 2002
MS Works 6.0
XP Home SP2

Many Thanks
Tim T
OKC
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_6_] Henk57[_6_] is offline

Tim;2036570 Wrote:
I thought after 10 years of computing I knew alot about alot, but I need
to create a
simple flier and can't accomplish what I need in any program, much less
Word. I need
to create a 3 1/2" column ad that I can duplicate three wide on a
horizontal 8 1/2 X
11 sheet so they would duplicate 3 to a page for cutting. Can someone
tell me where I
can go to learn how to do this?

MS Word 2002
MS Works 6.0
XP Home SP2

Many Thanks
Tim T
OKC

A quick and dirty way is to use a table to layout your page. It
depends a bit on how complicated your flyer is whether to use a simple
three column table (each flyer goes in a simple cell) or to use a more
complicated structure (e.g. for pictures or art). Of course u can make
the table borders invisible, or give them any appearance as you see fit.

Does this help?
Henk

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Word isn't a brilliant choice for this, but the best approach is probably to
create a textbox 3.5 wide, get that exactly as you want it, then copy it,
paste twice, and arrange the three textboxes to print as you need.

"Tim" wrote in message
I thought after 10 years of computing I knew alot about alot, but I need to
create a simple flier and can't accomplish what I need in any program, much
less Word. I need to create a 3 1/2" column ad that I can duplicate three
wide on a horizontal 8 1/2 X 11 sheet so they would duplicate 3 to a page
for cutting. Can someone tell me where I can go to learn how to do this?

MS Word 2002
MS Works 6.0
XP Home SP2

Many Thanks
Tim T
OKC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim[_2_] Tim[_2_] is offline

"Tim" wrote in message
I thought after 10 years of computing I knew alot about alot, but I need to
create a simple flier and can't accomplish what I need in any program, much
less Word. I need to create a 3 1/2" column ad that I can duplicate three
wide on a horizontal 8 1/2 X 11 sheet so they would duplicate 3 to a page
for cutting. Can someone tell me where I can go to learn how to do this?

MS Word 2002
MS Works 6.0
XP Home SP2

Many Thanks
Tim T
OKC

If I can figure out how to make them 3.5" wide, that might work. I tried creating 3
columns from the menu, but of course the span across the 8 1/2" width of a page.
Tim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim[_2_] Tim[_2_] is offline

"Tim" wrote in message
I thought after 10 years of computing I knew alot about alot, but I need to
create a simple flier and can't accomplish what I need in any program, much
less Word. I need to create a 3 1/2" column ad that I can duplicate three
wide on a horizontal 8 1/2 X 11 sheet so they would duplicate 3 to a page
for cutting. Can someone tell me where I can go to learn how to do this?

MS Word 2002
MS Works 6.0
XP Home SP2

Many Thanks
Tim T
OKC

Actually, I tried formatting a column 3.5" wide and it wont let me. I tried using 2
columns, with one of them 3" wide thinking I could edit it somehow after I finished
creating the one column, no luck. I think I need to find an artist somewhere or a
program. ;-)
Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Columns? Why didn't you try text boxes as suggested?

If they won't fit as you want in portrait mode (as they won't), change to
landscape!

Tim wrote:
Jezebel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To get three 3.5" columns on landscape, you must set the left and right
margins to 0.25" and the distance between columns to 0". To get space
between the text in these columns, however, you'd need to add left and right
indents on all the paragraphs. It would be more satisfactory to use sensible
margins left and right and between columns (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm) or to use text boxes
as suggested, with sensible inside margins.