Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolineX CarolineX is offline

Default How can I layout my page like Desktop Publishing Software?

Hi, hope someone can help with this please? I usually use PageMaker for
doing this sort of job, but the main bulk of the info was saved in Word which
includes tables, and tables don't copy well into PageMaker. Therefore I am
trying to make an 8 page booklet in Word. I have my template and pages
sorted ready to cut and paste the text & tables into. BUT, I need to know
the exact centre of the page pages and have some sort of grid layout to make
sure I am placing everything properly for folding & printing. I suppose I am
looking for the same layout options you get with DTP software, but maybe Word
does not have them?
I have tried the GRID option, but as I cannot change the ruler bar to start
from 0, the grid is never equal across the page, so is impossible to find out
the exact centre of my page. Making a table or page border is no good as I
have text boxes set up already to take the text/tables so fold & flow is
correct......any ideas anyone?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is not a page layout application. There is no concept of 'page' in Word
beyond an arbitrary flow of text based on the margins the font size and the
printer driver. If you want DTP tools, you will have to use a DTP
application.

CarolineX wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolineX CarolineX is offline

Thanks Graham, I was afraid of that! I thought maybe there would be a simple
way to have a horizontal and vertical line denoting the centre of
margins.....in that case, as my Word document is full of text tables, which
application would transfer the best, if you know? I have tried to copy into
a PageMaker document, but it pastes as if it is a graphic and doesn't allow
for resizing or formatting? Problem is I have a template based on 'letter'
size which I have changed to A4 size with all the pages numbered and text
boxes set out for me, but they don't work great with tables and it taking
hours to get right, if only I could be sure of the centre of the page things
would be easier!
Thanks anyway : )

CarolineX wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It has been a *very* long time since I used Pagemaker, but is it possible to
save the Word document as RTF then insert it into Pagemaker directly? If not
I cannot add anything to this, the last time I used DTP in earnest was with
Ventura Publisher nearly 20 years ago!

CarolineX wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CarolineX CarolineX is offline

: ) I am the opposite, its been nearly 10 years since I last used Word fully
on a regular basis, more used to DTP now, only using Word for the odd basic
document!
Frankly, it would have been quicker to start from scratch in PM or
In-Design, and I think that's what I will have to do now, but I will try
placing it in RTF first. Thanks again for your advice. : )