Ed

Default Word2000 Normal.dot okay in WordXP?

We're migrating from Windows and Office 2000 to Win / Office XP. Will it
work to just transfer the Normal.dot, with all my macros and toolbars, from
one computer to the other?

Ed

Charles Kenyon

It would probably work better to rename the file something like normal2000
and put it in the startup folder of your new Word installation. Remove
duplicate AutoText from this file. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ed" wrote in message
We're migrating from Windows and Office 2000 to Win / Office XP. Will it
work to just transfer the Normal.dot, with all my macros and toolbars,
from
one computer to the other?

Ed

TF

Ed

Following on from the others' advice (which I agree with): I found it best
to keep normal.dot pretty much as small as possible. Custom toolbars, macros
and autotext I keep in separate templates (I call them macros.dot,
autotext.dot and toolbars.dot for simplicity) and then place the templates
in Word's Startup folder (see Tools, Options, File Locations to see where
your Startup is pointing to). Everything stored in templates in the Startup
folder become available to Word as global add-ins. This keeps normal.dot
barely much bigger than its default size.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Ed" wrote in message
: We're migrating from Windows and Office 2000 to Win / Office XP. Will it
: work to just transfer the Normal.dot, with all my macros and toolbars,
from
: one computer to the other?
:
: Ed
:
:

Normal.dot Page Layout 6 June 10th 05 07:44 PM
Normal.dot default styles LindaNorcross Microsoft Word Help 3 April 21st 05 12:43 AM
Filename in topptext in normal.dot doesn´t update Mads Lillevold Microsoft Word Help 1 March 30th 05 03:25 PM
How do I find the normal.dot template so I can make modifications? zunitalks Page Layout 4 January 28th 05 01:31 PM
Network Normal.dot Issues MarieC Microsoft Word Help 4 November 25th 04 12:37 AM