Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamm13 pamm13 is offline

Default caption not holding 2nd level heading in one section

(Windows XP Word 2003)
I have a series of documents that have captions based on a second level
heading.These documents are all compiled into one document manually (not with
Master document). All of the headings and captions are working beautifully
with the exception of one (the same one every time) whose captions do not
hold the section two heading but revert back to 1.

ex: 5 douments utilizing the same heading/captioning system. Compiled each
document has a different 2nd. level heading
doc 1 - 6.1 captions start w/6.1-1 and number consecutively
doc 2 - 6.2 captions start w/6.2-1 and number consecutively
doc 3 - 6.3 captions start w/6.3-1 and number consecutively
doc 4 - 6.4 captions revert back to 6.1-1 but still number consecutively
doc 5 - 6.5 captions start with 6.5-1 and number consecutively

This problem appears when I compile the individual documents (all based on
the same template). It does not appear every time but may be related to
"select all" which I was using in order to update the TOC.

I have been banging my head against the wall for a couple of months trying
to figure it out and I am approaching a deadine and need to resolve. Any
suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Pamela
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

I don't KNOW, but I'm guessing. It sounds like you might be tracking changes.
Are you? This kind of behavior can occur when you're tracking changes and you
have a deleted paragraph marker of a different style embedded in your caption.

Try showing your hidden characters and turning your change tracking options
to show deleted text. Then look to see whether you have a deleted ¶ in the
caption or between the text of your caption and the caption's ¶. If there
is, select it and accept the deletion.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"pamm13" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamm13 pamm13 is offline

Brilliant!!!!!! Yes, some of the people send me information and have used
track changes on and off. I generally accept changes and then turn it off. It
is possible that one of us had not "accepted changes" before turning it off.

I did as you suggested and then in an outline view looked and could see
where a level two heading was indicated that did not appear as a heading. I
was able to track down the marker and fix it.

Thank you soooo much!!!
--
Pam