Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy G[_2_] Amy G[_2_] is offline

Default Applying Templates

The new template I created is giving me some trouble. If I begin a new
document by selecting NewMy TemplatesMy Template.dot, the document appears
with my template styles and everything works fine. That's great if I'm
starting a brand new document. The trouble comes in when I have an existing
document and I want to apply my template to it using the Templates and
Add-ins dialog. When I locate my template, then OK, not everything appears
correctly. Some styles don't appear, some styles don't function properly,
etc. I've tried selecting "Automatically update document styles" on the
Templates and Add-ins dialog and that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas what
I'm missing here?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy G[_2_] Amy G[_2_] is offline

So, after reading the referenced article, I would assume the best practice
would be to always start a new document based on my template and copy content
into it? Would you agree?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Amy G wrote:
The new template I created is giving me some trouble. If I begin a new
document by selecting NewMy TemplatesMy Template.dot, the document
appears with my template styles and everything works fine. That's
great if I'm starting a brand new document. The trouble comes in when
I have an existing document and I want to apply my template to it
using the Templates and Add-ins dialog. When I locate my template,
then OK, not everything appears correctly. Some styles don't appear,
some styles don't function properly, etc. I've tried selecting
"Automatically update document styles" on the Templates and Add-ins
dialog and that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas what I'm missing here?

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, exactly right.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Amy G wrote:
The new template I created is giving me some trouble. If I begin a
new document by selecting NewMy TemplatesMy Template.dot, the
document appears with my template styles and everything works fine.
That's great if I'm starting a brand new document. The trouble
comes in when I have an existing document and I want to apply my
template to it using the Templates and Add-ins dialog. When I
locate my template, then OK, not everything appears correctly. Some
styles don't appear, some styles don't function properly, etc. I've
tried selecting "Automatically update document styles" on the
Templates and Add-ins dialog and that doesn't seem to help. Any
ideas what I'm missing here?

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html.

--
Regards,