Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Teacher

Default How do I add a third page to a 2 page template?

I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break" does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MinutiaMinder

Depending upon what type of template it is - particularly if it is in Word -
you should be able to place your cursor at the end of the document, and then
hit your Enter key a few times until it creates a new page.

If it is not Word, let me know what it is, and I'll try to give you a more
responsive answer!!

MM
--
www.minutiaminders.com

The Entrepreneur''''''''''''''''s Lifeline

"Teacher" wrote:

I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break" does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

That's terrible advice! Never format a document by inserting superfluous
paragraphs (nor spaces nor tabs, for that matter). Add pages by inserting
page breaks. If 'break' is not showing, you are, perhaps, in the header or
footer?

"Teacher" wrote:

I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break"
does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Just type at the end and when a new page is needed it will form.
Otherwise, type a couple of paragraphs. Then go back to the first paragraph
and under Format Paragraph click on the Line and Page Breaks Tab and check
the box for page break before.

Best solution is to apply a Heading Style at the beginning of your new page
that has this built in. Many people format their Heading 1 style to have
this attribute.

Do not put in a manual page break.

If the above is "Greek" to you, you might want to look at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ers/index.html,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...les/index.html,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html,
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Teacher" wrote in message
I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break" does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David Nebenzahl

Charles Kenyon spake thus:

Do not put in a manual page break.

Why do you say this? I do it all the time to paginate my documents, and
it works fine. (I use W2K.) Is there something about later versions that
makes this problematic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

There's something about all versions (at least since Word 97) that makes it
problematic. You just haven't run into the problems or you haven't
recognized what was causing the problems when you did.

For whatever reason, in Word a page break does not substitute for a
paragraph break. Thus, the page break is inside the paragraph on the
following page. (That's right, pages are subsets of paragraphs rather than
the other way around.) It is in the style of that paragraph. If you use
automatic tables of contents or StyleRef fields, you'll get all sorts of
weird results.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
Charles Kenyon spake thus:

Do not put in a manual page break.

Why do you say this? I do it all the time to paginate my documents, and it
works fine. (I use W2K.) Is there something about later versions that
makes this problematic?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MinutiaMinder

Dear "Teacher" -

Well, I stand by my original suggestion, despite Jezebel's protests. It
would give you a third page, though some additional reformatting would be
necessary to clean up the document after such an action. Charles has a great
suggestion as well - typing in a couple of paragraphs, and then going back
and inserting the break above the new text.

I am going to guess, though, that you are going to tell us it is not a Word
document at all, and in that case, probably all of our suggestions will have
been "terrible advice." If you would like to provide us with some
additional specifics (type of file, etc.), perhaps we can give you a specific
response.

Thanks!

MM
--

"Teacher" wrote:

I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break" does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

If you work with non-printing characters in Word displayed and edit many
document written by others you'll change your mind. Each paragraph mark in
Word can contain many (I think around 30) formatting commands. Space before,
space after, page-break before, and keep-with-next paragraph formatting make
for much more easily edited documents.

I regularly write 30-50 page arguments (called "briefs" for some arcane
reason). These are heavily edited. If I started using paragraph marks to
move a new topic to a new page, I would end up with something that looked
horrible by the time I was done. These are often rush jobs where you have to
be able to depend on being able to insert 3/4 of a page someplace in the
middle without botching everything else up that follows.

For quick-and-dirty one-of documents, yes, you can hit Enter a couple of
times or insert a manual page break to get what you want. For templates,
that are going to be the basis for new documents, never!
--

"Teacher" wrote:

I downloaded a 2 page template, but need to add a third page. "Break"
does
not appear as a choice in the "Insert" tab.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David Nebenzahl

Charles Kenyon spake thus:

There's something about all versions (at least since Word 97) that makes it
problematic. You just haven't run into the problems or you haven't
recognized what was causing the problems when you did.

For whatever reason, in Word a page break does not substitute for a
paragraph break. Thus, the page break is inside the paragraph on the
following page. (That's right, pages are subsets of paragraphs rather than
the other way around.) It is in the style of that paragraph. If you use
automatic tables of contents or StyleRef fields, you'll get all sorts of
weird results.

Yes, now I know what you're talking about. But it's never been a problem
for me because I recognized this behavior early on, and without thinking
too much about it always made sure that my page breaks were attached to
empty paragraphs, or otherwise attached to paragraphs in such a way so
as not to cause nasty surprises. (One thing I always do is to turn on
viewing paragraph marks and tabs so I know what the hell is going on
"behind the scene".)

How do I create a multi page template? Boone1020 Page Layout 3 May 16th 23 02:49 PM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM
Moving templates to other computer GeorgeMar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 19th 05 04:59 AM