Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Only Ork

Default How do you change the size or style of the numbers in a footno

I can't get anything by clicking on Format | Styles and Formatting, even
after following your last extra comment about checking the box in "Custom."
All that happens is disappearance of the menu when I click on Styles and
Formatting. I'm still hunting for even a "work around" to accomplish a
return to default superscripted footnoting. How I came to having footnotes
on the same line and displayed the same script size as my text, I wish I knew!
--
Donnyork in So''Cal

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Modify the Footnote Reference style by clicking on Format | Styles and
Formatting | Footnote Reference | Modify | Format | Font | check the
"Superscript" box | OK | check the "Add to template" box | OK. If you are
prompted to save your normal.dot global template when you exit Word, say yes.

If the Footnote Reference style is not visible in your Styles and Formatting
pane, you can add it to the list of "All styles" from "Show: Custom" at the
bottom of the S&F pane.

"Steve Maurer" wrote:

When adding a footnote in Word (2002), the number is automatically a
superscript, smaller than the footnote text and slightly above. However, a
friend of mine is having problems in that the footnote number is the same
size as the text and not raised. Is there anyway to get his footnote
numbering back to the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Select a footnote reference mark in the document body (not in the actual
footnote). When you open the Styles and Formatting task pane, you should see
Footnote Reference as the "Formatting of selected text." If you click on
that, an arrow will appear. Click on the arrow and choose Modify...

In the Modify Style dialog, click on Format and choose Font. Check the box
for Superscript, OK. Then check the box for "Add to template" in the Modify
Style dialog and OK to close.

If your footnote reference marks are not formatted with the Footnote
Reference character style, then try applying it. You can force this style to
appear in the Style dropdown by pressing Shift while you click the arrow
beside the dropdown.

"Steve Maurer" wrote:

When adding a footnote in Word (2002), the number is automatically a
superscript, smaller than the footnote text and slightly above.

However, a
friend of mine is having problems in that the footnote number is the

same
size as the text and not raised. Is there anyway to get his footnote
numbering back to the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Only Ork

I followed the procedure and it seemed to work. Thanks much; how complicated
it actually was! I don't quite get the last part: "...then try applying it.
" As to "click the arrow beside the dropdown," which arrow and what
dropdown?--Where (upper, lower, left, right?) on the screen?
Very thankful to you!

--
Donnyork in So''''Cal

"Steve Maurer" wrote:

When adding a footnote in Word (2002), the number is automatically a
superscript, smaller than the footnote text and slightly above.

However, a
friend of mine is having problems in that the footnote number is the

same
size as the text and not raised. Is there anyway to get his footnote
numbering back to the default?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The arrow beside the Style dropdown. The Styles list is usually on the left
end of the Formatting toolbar.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Select a footnote reference mark in the document body (not in the actual
footnote). When you open the Styles and Formatting task pane, you should

see
Footnote Reference as the "Formatting of selected text." If you click on
that, an arrow will appear. Click on the arrow and choose Modify...

In the Modify Style dialog, click on Format and choose Font. Check the

box
for Superscript, OK. Then check the box for "Add to template" in the

Modify
Style dialog and OK to close.

If your footnote reference marks are not formatted with the Footnote
Reference character style, then try applying it. You can force this

style to
appear in the Style dropdown by pressing Shift while you click the arrow
beside the dropdown.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.