Wendy

Default I HATE your default track changes feature.

I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my organization)
spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. I would rather not have the
feature at all than have it as a default that has to be dealt with every
time. Get rid of it!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Greg Maxey

The feature does not belong to anyone reading these forms. So the rest of
us shouldn't have the feature just because you find it challenging. That is
helpful.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Wendy wrote:
I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my
organization)
spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. I would rather not have
the
feature at all than have it as a default that has to be dealt with
every
time. Get rid of it!

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

CyberTaz

I would rather not have the
feature at all than have it as a default

It _isn't_ the default. Track Changes is a feature that has to be activated
in the Tools Menu for each and every document in which it is to be used. If
you & your 'many others' don't like it, don't turn it on.

Regards |:)

On 9/16/05 5:07 PM, in article
, "Wendy"
wrote:

I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my organization)
spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. that has to be dealt with every
time. Get rid of it!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=dc09c63b-966e
-4bde-8559-ace6736ca734&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t

Opinicus

"CyberTaz" wrote

I would rather not have the
feature at all than have it as a default

It _isn't_ the default. Track Changes is a feature that
has to be activated
in the Tools Menu for each and every document in which it
is to be used. If
you & your 'many others' don't like it, don't turn it on.

There's also a keystroke sequence (control-shift-e) that
turns track changes on and off. Somebody may be hitting that
accidentally. Possibly someone is (unwittingly) clicking on
the "TRK" button at the bottom of the screen just right of
center.

Word is not very tolerant of fumble-fingered typists and
clumsy mouse-users...

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

CyberTaz

Hello Opinicus-

Not to start a feud but, IMHO,

1- That's a pretty tough keystroke to hit _on purpose_ let alone by
accident,

2- The TRK window has to be double-clicked, not just clicked, and

3- Any program with kybd shortcuts, buttons, etc are equally intolerant, it
isn't just Word... And many don't offer multi-level Undo.

Most often it boils down to folks wanting to fly a plane without having any
idea what the controls are for or how to use them. Then they can't
understand why they crashed and complain about the faulty equipment.

Go Figure!!!

Regards |:)

On 9/17/05 12:57 AM, in article ,
"Opinicus" wrote:

"CyberTaz" wrote

I would rather not have the
feature at all than have it as a default

It _isn't_ the default. Track Changes is a feature that
has to be activated
in the Tools Menu for each and every document in which it
is to be used. If
you & your 'many others' don't like it, don't turn it on.

There's also a keystroke sequence (control-shift-e) that
turns track changes on and off. Somebody may be hitting that
accidentally. Possibly someone is (unwittingly) clicking on
the "TRK" button at the bottom of the screen just right of
center.

Word is not very tolerant of fumble-fingered typists and
clumsy mouse-users...

Angelo Campanella

Wendy wrote:

I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my organization)
spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. I would rather not have the
feature at all than have it as a default that has to be dealt with every
time. Get rid of it!

It's NOT a normal default unless someone set your document template
(Normal.dot) that way. Sneaky folks in your IT department?

I tried to activate/remove Track Changes just now, and I got NOWHERE!,
despite the fact that I have managed many documents that way.

Apparently there are at least two modes; one where the text is
preserved, crossed out, changed in color, etc.

The other mode is to imbed your editorial comments in separate notes
tagged into the document file; very messy IMHO.

I was NOT able to find the turn-on for the aforementioned text editing
(Office 97). Very Squirrely....

Angelo Campanella

Angelo Campanella

Wendy wrote:

I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my
organization) spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. I would
rather not have the feature at all than have it as a default that has
to be dealt with every time. Get rid of it!

Just read some other messages on this. I find that at the VERY bottom
of your screen, there are several tiny square buttons that activate some
mysterious actions, including track changes ["TRK"]. By double clicking
on it you can turn it on (bold type there) and off (faint type there).

So, check your documents for this and fix as you please. Then make a
template of such a document, so that all newly generated documents by
you have it off. Or better yet, add that cross-check to your daily
activities.

Angelo Campanella

Hans Downer Hans Downer is offline
Banned

Location: Ottawa, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Campanella View Post
Wendy wrote:

I cannot believe the amount of time I (and many others in my
organization) spend on trying to eliminate tracked changes. I would
rather not have the feature at all than have it as a default that has
to be dealt with every time. Get rid of it!

Angelo Campanella
I think we all believe that everyone would love an alternative to Track Changes if it was available and easy to use - especially on an iPad.

SavvyDox has created a whole new paradigm around Track changes that uses the cloud to eliminate all the messy multi-colors and strikeouts. It even provides thumbnails to navigate directly to changes to avoid having to re-read an entire document trying to find what has changed. We can even track the changes back to the last version of the document that you read, rather than just the last version.

If you'd like a quick peak, check the iPad reading experience at http://www.savvydox.com/legal-contract-reviews/

You can also sign up for a no charge trial at that same URL