Physi Marc

Default Displaying page numbers as roman numerals in TOC

Hi, my page numbers are formatted to appear as roman numerals in my document.
However, when I create a table of contents, they appear as 1, 2, 3, etc. Is
there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much for the time you'll
take to answer this.

~Marc~
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

FYI...I just tried a sample creating a doc with roman numerals page
number and created a TOC and it worked fine...using roman numerals in
the TOC by default without any modifications.

Note that I did this in 2003. You don't mention which version you are
using.

So there's either a problem in another version, or you have some
special formatting/settings that are interferring with Word's normal
formatting.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:30:03 -0700, "Physi Marc" Physi
wrote:

Hi, my page numbers are formatted to appear as roman numerals in my document.
However, when I create a table of contents, they appear as 1, 2, 3, etc. Is
there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much for the time you'll
take to answer this.

~Marc~

Physi Marc

Hmm, in fact, I just tried what you did: I created a sample doc in Word 2000
with roman numerals page numbers and the TOC displayed roman numerals.

I guess the problem is with the formatting/settings in my other document.

Can it have something to do with the fact that my document contains two
sections, one with roman numerals page numbers and the other one with arabic
numerals? I tried creating two separate TOC, one for each section, but every
page number appeared as arabic.

Anyway, thank you again for replying. I'll investigate the issue further.
Though I know I could just emulate a TOC by hand (in fact, that's what I'm
doing for the roman numerals, right now), I'd really like to find out what
I'm doing wrong.

~Marc~

wrote:

Hi, my page numbers are formatted to appear as roman numerals in my document.
However, when I create a table of contents, they appear as 1, 2, 3, etc. Is
there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much for the time you'll
take to answer this.

~Marc~

None of that should have any effect. In fact, the only way to have different
runs of page numbers is to have separate sections (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm). I can't
think of any reason why your TOC would be misbehaving; if you've updated the
entire TOC and still see no improvement, I would suggest deleting it and
creating a new one (not an option I would generally advise, but in this
case, it might be the simplest solution). If the problem persists, you might
want to treat the document as corrupt; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

wrote:

Hi, my page numbers are formatted to appear as roman numerals in my

document.
However, when I create a table of contents, they appear as 1, 2, 3,

etc. Is
there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much for the time

you'll
take to answer this.

~Marc~

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

No problem...thanks for the thank.

As Suzanne says in this thread...it's a bit of a mystery why this is a
problem in your doc. But also know that you can hit Shift + F1 to get
a more detailed reading on the applied formatting. MAYBE you'll see
something you're missing??? Although I can't think of what it could
be.

If you figure it out...please let us know.

Good luck!

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

Hi, my page numbers are formatted to appear as roman numerals in my document.
However, when I create a table of contents, they appear as 1, 2, 3, etc. Is
there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much for the time you'll
take to answer this.

~Marc~

Physi Marc

Thanks for the links, Suzanne. Those articles were really helpful! I finally
found what I was doing wrong.

I was using the Edit Field menu to change the page number format to roman
numerals in my document. Apparently, the TOC uses the information from the
Page Number Format dialog box from the Header/Footer toolbar.

I realized that when I clicked Format Page Number while in the section with
roman numerals page numbers and the format that appeared in Format Number was
1, 2, 3 when I was actually seeing i, ii, iii in my document. So I changed
the Format Number to roman numerals, updated my TOC, and voilĂ*!

In summary, Edit Field seems to override the Format Page Number setting, but
the TOC actually gets its format from Format Page Number. So at the same
time, you can have i, ii, iii set in Edit Field (which will display page
numbers as i, ii, iii in the doc) and 1, 2, 3 set in Format Page Number
(which will display page numbers as 1, 2, 3 in the TOC).

Was that clear? Did it make sense? Try it out for yourself!

Thanks again for the support. And that MVP website rocks!

~Marc~

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Ditto...thanks for taking the time to let us know the details of the
problem!

Dian ~

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:55:03 -0700, "Physi Marc"
wrote:

! I finally
found what I was doing wrong.

thesoulofdeath thesoulofdeath is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dian D. Chapman, MVP View Post
Ditto...thanks for taking the time to let us know the details of the
problem!

Dian ~

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:55:03 -0700, "Physi Marc"
wrote:

! I finally
found what I was doing wrong.
Thanks indeed. Some 9 years later and it is still helpful to people