Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karin C.[_2_] Karin C.[_2_] is offline

Default What happens to docs when their templates are deleted/unavailable?

I have a client who wants to store her templates on their company's
Sharepoint server. The users need to create new documents from these
templates, but do not need to update these documents should the templates
change (new styles, for example).

They are looking at various ways to implement this, but the question has
come up: what happens to a document if the template it was based on is not on
the local computer, but "out there" on a server or another drive, which may
not be available all the time (or, what happens if the template is deleted
completely)?

My experience tells me that the document will keep its styles, AutoText etc.
and essentially nothing bad would happen, but of course one could not use the
Organizer to update styles etc. from the original template, as the original
template in this pretend scenario is either unavailable or gone. (Since my
client doesn't need the ability to update, this would be okay.)

If the users decide to copy the templates to their computers this whole
question will be moot. But it they just save only the document on their
computers, the templates will still be on the server/Sharepoint.

Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The documents should retain their formatting etc., with certain provisos -
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm