Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diane Diane is offline

Default Determining Type of Label Used

I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that contains
mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't know what type of
labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings tab and clicking the Labels
button, then the Options button in the dialog box, but it is showing me a
standard Avery label that definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the
file. I believe that older versions of Word would show the label type
currently in use, but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone have
any idea how to tell which label product number was used? I can't ask the
person who created the file. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, no version of Word will show you what type of label has been used, which
is why I usually try to remember to put the stock number in the Comments
field of the document Properties for label documents. About all you can do
is scroll through the label types to find one that has the same size or
number of labels as your document; it might be easier to do this in an
office supply catalog or at the Avery Web site than in the Labels dialog,
however.

"Diane" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that contains
mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't know what type
of
labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings tab and clicking the
Labels
button, then the Options button in the dialog box, but it is showing me a
standard Avery label that definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the
file. I believe that older versions of Word would show the label type
currently in use, but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone
have
any idea how to tell which label product number was used? I can't ask the
person who created the file. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you cannot figure it out by looking and measuring then extract the data
from the labels http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm
and merge to a new label format that you do know.
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Diane wrote:
I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that
contains mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't
know what type of labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings
tab and clicking the Labels button, then the Options button in the
dialog box, but it is showing me a standard Avery label that
definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the file. I believe that
older versions of Word would show the label type currently in use,
but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone have any idea
how to tell which label product number was used? I can't ask the
person who created the file. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diane Diane is offline

Thank you Suzanne and Graham! I appreciate your help. I like the idea of
including the label type in the properties area, that's a great suggestion!
And, I appreciate the conversion method too -- if I can't figure out the
label type, at least I can resolve it another way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

By the way, Graham, I've been meaning to thank you.

Thanks to your mailmerge pages, my Christmas cards went out on time this
year. (That's quite a first! g)

THANKS!

Dan

Diane wrote:
I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that
contains mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't
know what type of labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings
tab and clicking the Labels button, then the Options button in the
dialog box, but it is showing me a standard Avery label that
definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the file. I believe that
older versions of Word would show the label type currently in use,
but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone have any idea
how to tell which label product number was used? I can't ask the
person who created the file. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I usually find it more efficient to create a mail merge for envelopes
and address them directly. I don't have an envelope feeder, so doing
hundreds would be a pain, but you still save the time of sticking labels on
the envelopes, and it also looks classier if you have colored envelopes and
don't use clear labels. You can also use larger type than you might on a
label (and include your return address as well).

Diane wrote:
I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that
contains mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't
know what type of labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings
tab and clicking the Labels button, then the Options button in the
dialog box, but it is showing me a standard Avery label that
definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the file. I believe that
older versions of Word would show the label type currently in use,
but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone have any idea
how to tell which label product number was used? I can't ask the
person who created the file. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I too merge directly to envelopes, but the linked pages are more general
than their filenames would suggest.

Diane wrote:
I'm using Word 2007. I have a file created by someone else that
contains mailing info formatted as labels. The problem is, I don't
know what type of labels to use! I've tried selecting the Mailings
tab and clicking the Labels button, then the Options button in the
dialog box, but it is showing me a standard Avery label that
definitely doesn't correspond to what's in the file. I believe
that older versions of Word would show the label type currently in
use, but Office 2007 doesn't seem to do this. Does anyone have
any idea how to tell which label product number was used? I can't
ask the person who created the file. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, good, then. Judging by the number of typed letters we get in
hand-addressed envelopes (from law firms, for example), it seems that
printing envelopes, even singly, is an art many have not mastered. g

And those who know how to address envelopes evidently find that easier than
trying to print a single label (understandable) since many law firms send
large manila envelopes with an addressed #10 envelope taped on as the label.