Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karin C.[_2_] Karin C.[_2_] is offline

Default Sharepoint and templates: do they get along?

Does anyone know a lot about how Sharepoint and Word templates interact?

I have a client who was opening her templates (which are on Sharepoint)
directly by double-clicking instead of going through Word. The result of this
is that she was getting a .dot document, rather than a copy of the template.
Here is her original question:
------------------------
"We have come up against a slight technical glitch with posting our template
documents to the sharepoint site for our authors to access. When we post the
templates as .dot (template) files to sharepoint, sharepoint does not
recognize them as templates (which generate .doc files when opened) €“ and
the authors can open them as .dot template files. This effectively
circumvents the utility of having a template file in the first place (and
also poses the risk of file corruption if the author begins working with this
..dot file in their working folder).

So what we would like to do is the following (see below).

When posting submission ready templates to R+I, they will be posted as read
only .doc files €“ such that when an author opens the file, it will open as a
..doc file. In order for the author to save this file they must perform a
€˜save as and save the file to their own network folder.
This will simulate the action of .dot template files on a fileshare (in a
network folder) in that the original content of the document is preserved.
This will eliminate any possibility of an author accidentally saving a file
as a .dot file within their own network folder, which can lead to corrupted
documents."
--------------------------------

I found some instructions on Microsoft's site about this, I think:

1. Open the Microsoft Office program you want to use to create the file.
2. From the New File task pane in any Office 2003 program, in the
Templatessection, click On my Web sites.
3. If the New File task pane is closed, click File, and then click New.
4. In the Filename field, type in the URL of the server and the path to the
template that you would like to open, and then click Open. You can enter an
Internet address (such as www.example.com) or an intranet address (such as
http://example).

I just sent her this email so I'm not sure if that will work or not...

Does anyone have any experience with Sharepoint and templates? I sure could
use some guidance!!!

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

My guess is that this has nothing to do with Sharepoint, but that the
default action on the user's PC (in Windows Explorer) for the dot extension
is open and not new. Check the file associations in Windows Explorer for
that PC.