Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne M Anne M is offline

Default Pronunciation symbols

I don't know the name of the character but I want to type the letters er with
an arch over top to indicate how they should be pronounced in words such as
fern or thermal.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am not sure what it is you require but see
http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/mm-c...phonetics.html

Anne M wrote:
I don't know the name of the character but I want to type the letters
er with an arch over top to indicate how they should be pronounced in
words such as fern or thermal.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds like you're looking either for what Unicode calls "Combining
Double Inverted Breve" 0361, or else for the usual phonetic character
for the "er" sound 025A.

If you only need it once in a while, you can type the four-digit
Unicode code (on the regular keyboard) followed by Alt+X.

To make the first one, type "e" then the Combining Double Inverted
Breve then the "r."

If you're going to need this a lot, then within Insert Symbol, for the
first one go to the "Combining Diacritical Marks" area, locate the
character on the grid, and assign a Keyboard Shortcut using the button
at the bottom. You'll find the second one under "IPA Extensions."

On Dec 1, 1:18*am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
I am not sure what it is you require but seehttp://www.cortland.edu/flteach/mm-course/phonetics.html