Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default do not print a word

I am using Word 2003
I want to add a title to a page - mainly so that the title will be in the
index, but I do not want the title to print on the page it is on. I know I
have done this in the past, but right now, I can not remember how to do this.
Ex: "A Title XXX" on page 10, so that the index will show "A Title XXX" in
the index beginning on page 10. But i do not want "A Title XXX" to print on
page 10. Can anyone help me with this? I am kind of in a hurry if anyone
can answer me ASAP.

thank you - Aurora
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can have an index entry field (XE field) on a page without putting the
same text in the visible body of the text. On page 10 (or wherever), type
the field code like this:

XE "A Title XXX"

(Notice the space after the letters XE.) Select that code (but not any
following punctuation or paragraph mark) and press Ctrl+F9 to make it into a
field. It will instantly disappear unless you've turned on the display of
Hidden text. When you update the index, the entry will appear there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Aurora wrote:
I am using Word 2003
I want to add a title to a page - mainly so that the title will be in
the index, but I do not want the title to print on the page it is on.
I know I have done this in the past, but right now, I can not
remember how to do this. Ex: "A Title XXX" on page 10, so that the
index will show "A Title XXX" in the index beginning on page 10. But
i do not want "A Title XXX" to print on page 10. Can anyone help me
with this? I am kind of in a hurry if anyone can answer me ASAP.

thank you - Aurora

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

One approach, IIRC:

After you do the final update of your TOC/Index, select the text in the
document & use FormatFont - Hidden (Shift+Control+H) & make sure that
ToolsOptionsPrint has the checkbox cleared for Update Fields.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Aurora" wrote in message
I am using Word 2003
I want to add a title to a page - mainly so that the title will be in the
index, but I do not want the title to print on the page it is on. I know
have done this in the past, but right now, I can not remember how to do
this.
Ex: "A Title XXX" on page 10, so that the index will show "A Title XXX"
in
the index beginning on page 10. But i do not want "A Title XXX" to print
on
page 10. Can anyone help me with this? I am kind of in a hurry if anyone
can answer me ASAP.

thank you - Aurora

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I have an idea you're talking about a table of contents (TOC field) rather
than an index (INDEX field). If so, you can do this by inserting a TC field
with the required text. Be sure to check the box for "Table entry fields" in
the Table of Contents Options dialog.