Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAYOH JAYOH is offline

Default auto correct / auto fill

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was a
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mexc mexc is offline

You can still do that in "replace text as you type" Option under autocorrect
option.
Steps:
Click the Office button and go to Word Option.
Under the Word Option, go to proofing and then to Autocorrect Option.
In autocorrect option, check €śReplace text as you type€ť and type the
required text you want to replace with.

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was a
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAYOH JAYOH is offline

Thank you.
I actually tried that but it's not quite what I am looking for. This method
works good for single words but not for a complete phrases. Here is the
reason why; The old system would fill in a phrase but go away if you
continued typing something different. For example€¦ €śThis quote€ť would auto
fill €śThis quote is valid for 30 days.€ť If I ignored the auto fill and
continued typing something like €śThis quote may not€¦€ť It would automatically
remove the auto fill and allow me to continue on with my different sentence
without stopping. The method you suggest will fill in a phrase after the
first word (does not seem to work keying off more than one word at a time)
and place my curser at the end of the sentence. I am forced to stop and
remove the words I dont want manually and then continue typing. This is not
nearly as slick as it once was. The pre-2007 software had separate input
areas; one for replacing misspelled word and one for complete phrases.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!!
John

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was a
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoText still exists in Word 2007; find it among the Quick Parts. But there
is no AutoComplete; you have to type the first three or four letters and
press F3.

"JAYOH" wrote in message
Thank you.
I actually tried that but it's not quite what I am looking for. This
method
works good for single words but not for a complete phrases. Here is the
reason why; The old system would fill in a phrase but go away if you
continued typing something different. For example. "This quote" would auto
fill "This quote is valid for 30 days." If I ignored the auto fill and
continued typing something like "This quote may not." It would

"mexc" wrote:

You can still do that in "replace text as you type" Option under
autocorrect
option.
Steps:
Click the Office button and go to Word Option.
Under the Word Option, go to proofing and then to Autocorrect Option.
In autocorrect option, check "Replace text as you type" and type the

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set
up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would
automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto
correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAYOH JAYOH is offline

Thank you Suzanne,
It looks like I can't get there from here on 2007. It was such a slick
feature. Why would MS get rid of it? (I know... silly questions) At least I
still have good ol' XP at home!!

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set
up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would
automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto
correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

AutoText still very much exists; it's only AutoComplete that is missing (and
we're hoping that will be restored sooner than later).

You can create AutoText entries quite easily by selecting the desired text,
pressing Alt+F3, naming the entry, and choosing AutoText as the Gallery.
Just assign an easily remembered name with several unique letters at the
beginning so you can type those and press F3.

Alternatively, you can create AutoCorrect entries; to prevent inserting them
when they're not wanted, begin the Replace text with a semicolon, slash, #
sign or something else that wouldn't ordinarily occur in the context. For
example, you could use ;quote to generate "This quote is valid for 30 days."

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct
set
up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day.
For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would
automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It
was
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto
correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAYOH JAYOH is offline

Good idea Suzanne. It just may be hard to retrain my fingers to use the new
method after using AutoComplete for so many years. But I'll give it a try.
So who do we call to pressure into getting that feature back???

Thanks again!
John

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct
set
up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day.
For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would
automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It
was
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto
correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Believe it or not, there is actually an Office 2007 feedback page (and we
don't yet know for sure that it's a black hole):
https://feedback.office.microsoft.co...ice2007&scrx=1

#

"JAYOH" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JAYOH JAYOH is offline

Thank you again Suzanne! I threw my question into the "Black Hole". I'm sure
MS will get right on it!! ;-)

"JAYOH" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jennster Jennster is offline

I also miss the auto fill/auto correct on MS Office 2007. I had it set up on
my XP/Word 2003 so when I started to type my name it would automatically
finish it for me, or the date, or the town I live in, etc. I understand what
Suzanne suggested, but before it was so automatic and streamlined. Will it
ever return?

"JAYOH" wrote:

Help!
Prior to MS office 2007 I used Auto Fill (part of the auto correct set up).
I used this for common phrases I use in business emails every day. For
example;
I would start typing "This quote is" and the sentence would automatically
fill in the complete sentence "This quote is valid for 30 days." It was a
huge time saver!!
Has that function gone away with 2007? It was not the same as auto correct
but was set up within the same setup window.
Thanks!!!
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it automatically finished it for you without any further action, then it
was an AutoCorrect entry, and those still work just the same in Word 2007.
If you are referring to AutoComplete (which required you to press Enter or
Tab), then that is gone, but you can still start typing the AutoText entry
name and press F3 to insert the entry.