Luc

Default Options - textbox

Hi everyone,
A question from the Dutch newsgroup that we can't answer to our own
astonishment. Maybe we are not looking close enough but here it goes.
Insert a textbox, hit Format - textbox - third tab from the left - at the
bottom hit advanced - at the bottom there are four options you can check can
someone explain what the last one does something to do with the formatting
of a table cell. The help files were not helpful at all.
Luc

Jay Freedman

Luc wrote:
Hi everyone,
A question from the Dutch newsgroup that we can't answer to our own
astonishment. Maybe we are not looking close enough but here it goes.
Insert a textbox, hit Format - textbox - third tab from the left - at
the bottom hit advanced - at the bottom there are four options you
can check can someone explain what the last one does something to do
with the formatting of a table cell. The help files were not helpful
at all. Luc

Hi Luc,

In the English versions of Word, that option is labeled "Layout in table
cell". Checking on Google for that term (plus the terms "word" and "box" to
eliminate many citations for HTML coding) finds this page, which is the same
as the VBA help topic for the LayoutInCell property of a Shape object:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...HV01040501.asp

Unfortunately, the article still doesn't explain what the option does. As
often happens, it takes some experimentation to figure it out.

If you have the cursor in a table cell when you click Insert Text Box, and
draw the box inside the cell, you'll find that the "Layout in table cell"
option is automatically checked. If you set the box's text wrapping to
"Square" and uncheck the layout option, the text box will be forced outside
the table. Checking the option again will restore the box's position inside
the cell and wrap the other text in the cell around it.

Although I can see what the option does, I don't understand why anyone would
want to uncheck it. Presumably if you drew the text box inside the cell, you
want it to stay there. I suspect it has something to do with backward
compatibility with earlier versions of Word, in which text boxes could never
be inside table cells. It may also be related to conversion to or from HTML,
which uses tables for layout much more extensively than Word usually does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Luc

As always Jay thanks a million, this had us puzzeled for a while.
Luc
"Jay Freedman" schreef in bericht