Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liela

Default Normal.dot template Failure (corruption)

Ok I have a weird one here. I have had several users open word documents and
while they are working in them, they freeze and have to restart. Upon
further investigation I found that in each case there was a small square in
the users document and that same square appears even when the user opens a
new document. So when I attempted to replace the users normal template, the
user did not have a normal template. I know it sounds crazy but it's true.
So I copied a Normal.dot template from another location and the users worked
fine. Now, please note I am NOT working in a vanilla Word environment. We
are running on a Thin Client Server in a Citrix environment with several home
made macros to produce certain things in Word. Any help anyone could be
would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Small square?

This may be normal - no problem. You may just be noticing it for the first
time. It could be a marker of paragraph formatting.

If using Windows XP see: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or
in the Windows shell after you install security update MS06-015
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
the script.

A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
25, to fix these problems.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Liela" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Liela

Charles:

Thank you for your response but it's not just the sqaure I am concerned
with. It's what is happening in the background. And as I re-read my
question I failed to state this portion, there was no normal template when I
went to delete it. So while the square is there and appears to be the cause
of the corruption, I think the greater issue may lie in why is the Normal not
replicating itself upon deletion or better still how can Word function with
it being non-existent in the users profile. (In all cases referenced Normal
was not in the profile).

"Liela" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Do you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed? It may be blocking the creation of
normal.dot. If so, write back.

OTOH, you may simply not be finding normal.dot. It can be hard to find
because it is marked as a hidden system file. See the part on finding
normal.dot at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.