Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike_g Mike_g is offline

Default Word 2007, need to use relative path names for subdocuments

With Word 2003 I created a document with 4 subdocuments in it.
All of these were in the same directory and were referenced just with the
filename in the Outline view. This worked fine and I could move all of them
to another machine with a different path without issue.
Word 2007 is insisting on referencing the subdocuments with the complete
path, which prevents me from moving them elsewhere with redoing the
references.

I have tried performing the "trick" mentioned elsewhere of browsing to the
directory, hitting close, and then inserting the subdocuments. This does not
work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Using Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium

Change hyperlink to relative address:
1) Right Click hyperlink
2) Select Edit Hyperlink..
3) Edit Address:
.\ is this directory
..\ is parent directory
4) Click [OK]

For example if this document is C:\Documents\note.docx
and the hyperlink is to C:\Documents\references\ref.docx
the hyperlink is
..\references\ref.docx

"Mike_g" wrote:

With Word 2003 I created a document with 4 subdocuments in it.
All of these were in the same directory and were referenced just with the
filename in the Outline view. This worked fine and I could move all of them
to another machine with a different path without issue.
Word 2007 is insisting on referencing the subdocuments with the complete
path, which prevents me from moving them elsewhere with redoing the
references.

I have tried performing the "trick" mentioned elsewhere of browsing to the
directory, hitting close, and then inserting the subdocuments. This does not
work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Note: By default the Insert Hyperlink dialog uses relative addresses.
Changing the hyperlink to a relative address is unnecessary.

"Mike_g" wrote:

With Word 2003 I created a document with 4 subdocuments in it.
All of these were in the same directory and were referenced just with the
filename in the Outline view. This worked fine and I could move all of them
to another machine with a different path without issue.
Word 2007 is insisting on referencing the subdocuments with the complete
path, which prevents me from moving them elsewhere with redoing the
references.

I have tried performing the "trick" mentioned elsewhere of browsing to the
directory, hitting close, and then inserting the subdocuments. This does not
work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike_g Mike_g is offline

Thanks Mecalith,

I am on XP not Vista. In Outline View, I can select the "hyperlink" for the
sub-document, but not edit it. Also tried in Print Layout view with the same
result.
- Mike