SF

Default Styles

I have 53 chapter subheadings in my novel and I'd like to know if there is a
way to assign them one special style.

The problem is that the subheadings consist of two different styles,
themselves. i.e.:

Chapter Fifteen

Los Angeles
10:30 p.m.

The first subheading is the name of a city (they differ).
Then the second subheading is a time stamp (they also differ).

I want to italicize the name of the city
Then make the time stamp regular type.
Also I need to have a space of 48 before the city
and a space of 32 under the time,
with a regular double space between them.

Is it possible to define a single style to do this?

If not, how would you handle this, Suzanne?

If you want the city and time to be in a TOC on the same line, I'd use a
single style with 48 pts Space Before and 32 pts space after and apply the
italics as direct formatting, keeping in mind that Word will interpret the
line break as a single space unless you include the \x switch in the TOC
field).

If you want the city and time on separate lines in the TOC, or there is no
TOC, I'd use separate styles for the two paragraphs, giving the first one 48
pts before and the second one 32 pts after.

In either case, I would make the chapter number a separate style and not
even try to include it in the TOC; instead I would apply numbering to the
TOC style.

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I have 53 chapter subheadings in my novel and I'd like to know if there is

way to assign them one special style.

The problem is that the subheadings consist of two different styles,
themselves. i.e.:

Chapter Fifteen

Los Angeles
10:30 p.m.

The first subheading is the name of a city (they differ).
Then the second subheading is a time stamp (they also differ).

I want to italicize the name of the city
Then make the time stamp regular type.
Also I need to have a space of 48 before the city
and a space of 32 under the time,
with a regular double space between them.

Is it possible to define a single style to do this?

If not, how would you handle this, Suzanne?

SF

Thank you, Suzanne, for your answer.
(Sorry I'm so late in answering. Hope you get this and know that the time
you took to answer was not wasted.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you want the city and time to be in a TOC on the same line, I'd use a
single style with 48 pts Space Before and 32 pts space after and apply the
italics as direct formatting, keeping in mind that Word will interpret the
line break as a single space unless you include the \x switch in the TOC
field).

If you want the city and time on separate lines in the TOC, or there is no
TOC, I'd use separate styles for the two paragraphs, giving the first one
48
pts before and the second one 32 pts after.

In either case, I would make the chapter number a separate style and not
even try to include it in the TOC; instead I would apply numbering to the
TOC style.

so
all may benefit.

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I have 53 chapter subheadings in my novel and I'd like to know if there
is

way to assign them one special style.

The problem is that the subheadings consist of two different styles,
themselves. i.e.:

Chapter Fifteen

Los Angeles
10:30 p.m.

The first subheading is the name of a city (they differ).
Then the second subheading is a time stamp (they also differ).

I want to italicize the name of the city
Then make the time stamp regular type.
Also I need to have a space of 48 before the city
and a space of 32 under the time,
with a regular double space between them.

Is it possible to define a single style to do this?

If not, how would you handle this, Suzanne?

Thanks for the feedback.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.