Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Keith

Default Changing Outline Numbering Format

I'm using Word 2003 to modify and maintain a large (500+ pages)
document. I've already reformatted the document to use styles almost
entirely (almost done), but have been asked to change the styles of
the outline numbering format. I read most of the recommended FAQ
entries a while back and while I believe this reformat won't be too
difficult, I want to make sure I do this correctly.

The outline numbered option current chosen (Article 1, Chapter 1.11,
Section 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.1.1, ..., 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1) needs to
change to (Article 1, Chapter A, Section 1, A, i, etc.) as well as
various paragraph/font changes.

- Should I change the Outline Numbered option (Format - Bullets &
Numbering - Outline Numbered) or just modify the currently selected
outline numbered selection? If just modify, I modify the numbering
scheme using the Bullets & Numbering menu and modify the
paragraph/font style using Heading 1, etc., correct?

- Right now I'm just using Normal.dot, I believe. I think I should be
using a custom template, and, if so, would creating a new template
that redefines all the used styles be a quicker solution to
reformatting?

- Would doing things in a specific order be helpful? Modify the NORMAL
style first, then the others?

Maybe this won't be too hard, but I'm just afraid of starting and then
realizing that I messed something up royally...

Thanks!

- Keith