Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Len B[_2_] Len B[_2_] is offline

Default How many ways to do it?

Years ago, I had occasion to produce a custom document based on other
documents. In those DOS days I used WordStar which had a concept of a
control document and a variables document.

The variables document (ASCII) contained things like -
set name=Fred Smith
set age=45

The control document would be like this -
include variables.txt
set number=7
if age50 then include young1.doc else include old1.doc
include terms.doc (could include merge variables like age)
if age50 then include young2.doc else include old2.doc
include summary.doc (could merge Fred's name, age etc. too)
if number ... etc. etc.

I would programmatically create a variables.txt for Fred Smith overwriting
the former variables.txt and I would then print the control document which
would take care of formatting, page breaks and the like to produce the
custom document to suit Fred.

What ways do you see to accomplish a similar task now using Word? I
anticipate a boilerplate document of some sort and something like Access
producing another document to drive/control the process of
including/excluding other documents and inserting or merging variables like
age or DoB in the boilerplate. The end result would be a document tailored
to Fred.

If someone could suggest a technique or two along with some relevant
keywords to search the help on, I would appreciate it.

TIA

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.

Formulas 3 Ways Lenny Tables 1 August 30th 07 12:12 AM
how many ways to merge mails? r New Users 1 May 25th 06 04:36 AM
what are the 5 ways of POSITIONING art in Word? Skylar New Users 1 February 27th 06 09:12 PM
Word opens a doc 2 ways? Rooster Microsoft Word Help 10 October 14th 05 11:09 PM
Word's "helpful" ways Caty Microsoft Word Help 3 December 15th 04 08:45 PM