Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sandra via OfficeKB.com

Default Template problem - Word 2000

I haven't quite grasped the use of templates and wonder if someone can help
me with a problem.

The template I've created now shows several styles that I won't use, ie:
"heading3", "heading 4", etc. I appreciate these are default styles and I
cannot delete them, but I only want to show the styles that will be used in
the document.

Any information and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you were using Word 2003, you would have some hope; in that version you
can totally customize what styles are displayed. In Word 2000 you're
somewhat stuck. The Styles list in Word 2000 displays the "Styles in use."
By default, these include Normal, Default Paragraph Font, and Headings 1, 2,
and 3. Other styles are added as you use them.

If you open the Format | Style dialog and select "Styles in use," you can
see this list. If you select a style in that list and press Delete, you can
remove it (the style is not really deleted, just reset to its default
Normal.dot formatting), with the exception of Normal, Default Paragraph
Font, and any heading styles that are listed (not just Headings 1-3, but
higher levels as well). Unfortunately, these cannot be "deleted."

But don't discount the usefulness of the heading styles. If you're going to
be using any headings at all (even if you think of them as part titles,
chapter titles, subheads, etc.), you want to use these styles, which you can
customize to your heart's content. For the reasons, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html