#1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M and D

Default Long Delay to Open a Document

This just started happening recently -- I wish I could remember exactly when it started.

[Word 2002 SP 3 on Windows XP Home SP 2]

It takes a real long time to open a Word document from a shortcut. I mean, like 20 seconds. (Same thing with Excel spreadsheets.) But if I open a document from within Word (e.g. File Open) it opens almost instantly.

I thought maybe my virus scanner (Zone Alarm) is causing the delay, but no changes have been made to the program, other than updating virus definitions, and no new versions were recently installed. And if it was my virus scanner, it would cause a delay even when I open a document from within Word.

Nothing is trying to access the internet when I go to open a document, which means it's not some malware. I'm extremely careful about avoiding viruses and other malware.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Steven

#2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M and D

Default Long Delay to Open a Document

I just now read the FAQ that was posted to this group, and there was the answer to my question.

Evidentally, it is a question often asked and answered. My apologies to the group.

Steven

"M and D" wrote in message ...
This just started happening recently -- I wish I could remember exactly when it started.

[Word 2002 SP 3 on Windows XP Home SP 2]

It takes a real long time to open a Word document from a shortcut. I mean, like 20 seconds. (Same thing with Excel spreadsheets.) But if I open a document from within Word (e.g. File Open) it opens almost instantly.

I thought maybe my virus scanner (Zone Alarm) is causing the delay, but no changes have been made to the program, other than updating virus definitions, and no new versions were recently installed. And if it was my virus scanner, it would cause a delay even when I open a document from within Word.

Nothing is trying to access the internet when I go to open a document, which means it's not some malware. I'm extremely careful about avoiding viruses and other malware.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Steven