Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
vagn

Default office

Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre skabeloner. Hvad
mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min office pake.
--
vagn thomsen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I thought it looked like Norwegian (my daughter lived in Oslo for a while
and studied Norwegian, and I'd seen some of the language on products she
gave us), but from the URL of the site that came up when I Googled for
"skabeloner," I'm guessing it's Danish. I believe the OP was asking about
some kind of ready-made templates, perhaps for a CV/résumé.

"Granny 3.1" wrote in message
news
Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

http://office.microsoft.com/da-dk/te...s/default.aspx

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre skabeloner.

Hvad
mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min office pake.
--
vagn thomsen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:42:18 -0800 from Granny 3.1 Granny31
@discussions.microsoft.com:
"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre skabeloner. Hvad
mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min office pake.

Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Or what" -- it's Danish (or possibly Bokmaal Norwegian).

There used to be a page somewhere on Web to explain how to tell what
language a given piece of text was in, but I can't find it now.

One way I know it's not Swedish is that Swedish has "och" for "and",
and Danish and Norwegian have "og".

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:27:50 -0500 from Stan Brown
:
"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre
skabeloner. Hvad mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min
office pake.

Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Or what" -- it's Danish (or possibly Bokmaal Norwegian).

There used to be a page somewhere on Web to explain how to tell what
language a given piece of text was in, but I can't find it now.

By some more Googling I came up with an automated tool:
http://languid.cantbedone.org/. Unfortunately, the server returned
an error message "connection refused" when I entered text and clicked
the button.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fredrik E. Nilsen

"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre skabeloner. Hvad
mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min office pake.

Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Or what" -- it's Danish (or possibly Bokmaal Norwegian).

It's Danish.

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen
(Norwegian)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:50:46 +0100 from Fredrik E. Nilsen
:

"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre
skabeloner. Hvad mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min
office pake.

Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Or what" -- it's Danish (or possibly Bokmaal Norwegian).

It's Danish.

How can you tell?

Yes, that's a serious question. There used to be a Web page somewhere
that explained how to distinguish the written Scandinavian languages,
but I can't find any reference in the s.c.n FAQ.

(This is OT for MS Word, so might I suggest a reply in email.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Or in the NG. I think we'd all be interested. At least I would; being able
to determine the language of the post helps us direct users to specific
language NGs if they exist.

t...

"vagn" wrote in message
Hej. jeg kan ikke finde færdige cver og breve samt andre
skabeloner. Hvad mangler jeg eller er der en fejl i min
office pake.

Was that Swedish or German or what?

"Or what" -- it's Danish (or possibly Bokmaal Norwegian).

It's Danish.

How can you tell?

Yes, that's a serious question. There used to be a Web page somewhere
that explained how to distinguish the written Scandinavian languages,
but I can't find any reference in the s.c.n FAQ.

(This is OT for MS Word, so might I suggest a reply in email.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman

In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Yes, that's a serious question. There used to be a Web page somewhere
that explained how to distinguish the written Scandinavian languages,
but I can't find any reference in the s.c.n FAQ.

I believe this is somewhere near it:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/Northgermanic.html
http://www.dur.ac.uk/anders.holmberg...ian%20Language
s.pdf

Google is your friend ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And an unwrapped version of that second URL (note that it's a PDF, for those
who try to avoid such):
http://www.dur.ac.uk/anders.holmberg...0Languages.pdf

Note also that the first deals with the sound of the language rather than
distinguishing the written forms.

"Iceman" wrote in message
In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Yes, that's a serious question. There used to be a Web page somewhere
that explained how to distinguish the written Scandinavian languages,
but I can't find any reference in the s.c.n FAQ.

I believe this is somewhere near it:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/Northgermanic.html

http://www.dur.ac.uk/anders.holmberg...ian%20Language
s.pdf

Google is your friend ...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:17:25 -0000 from Iceman :
In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Yes, that's a serious question. There used to be a Web page somewhere
that explained how to distinguish the written Scandinavian languages,
but I can't find any reference in the s.c.n FAQ.

I believe this is somewhere near it:
http://www.lysator.liu.se/nordic/scn/Northgermanic.html
http://www.dur.ac.uk/anders.holmberg...ian%20Language
s.pdf

Google is your friend ...

Usually it is, but I was unable to find what I was looking for in
Google.

Thanks for posting those URLs, but neither of them is explains how to
tell what language a given piece of text is written in. The page I
was thinking of had several steps, for instance if you see "og" it's
Danish or Norwegian(*) but if you see "och" it's Swedish.

(*) can't remember whether that was both Norwegians or only Bokmaal.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman

In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Thanks for posting those URLs, but neither of them is explains how to
tell what language a given piece of text is written in. The page I
was thinking of had several steps, for instance if you see "og" it's
Danish or Norwegian(*) but if you see "och" it's Swedish.

I don't know if there even is such a page, but Professor Einar Haugen wrote
an excellent book some 30 years ago on the development and character of the
5 Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and
Faroese). Look for it on Amazon.com.

(*) can't remember whether that was both Norwegians or only Bokmaal.

It's that way in both, and BTW it isn't called Bokmål anymore, but Nynorsk.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:24:42 -0000 from Iceman :
In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Thanks for posting those URLs, but neither of them is explains how to
tell what language a given piece of text is written in. The page I
was thinking of had several steps, for instance if you see "og" it's
Danish or Norwegian(*) but if you see "och" it's Swedish.

I don't know if there even is such a page, but Professor Einar Haugen wrote
an excellent book some 30 years ago on the development and character of the
5 Scandinavian languages (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and
Faroese). Look for it on Amazon.com.

Sigh. I don't know how to be more clear. I am _not_ talking about
some page or book that traces the development of the languages or
describes their characteristics. That kind of stuff is very
interesting in its own right, but it's not what I'm referring to.

(*) can't remember whether that was both Norwegians or only Bokmaal.

It's that way in both, and BTW it isn't called Bokmål anymore, but Nynorsk.

Huh??

The two written languages of Norway are Bokmaal (Bokmål if you have
8-bit characters) and Nynorsk.

See for example this page from Statistics Norway:
http://www.ssb.no/english/yearbook/tab/tab-238.html

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:24:42 -0000 from Iceman :
It's that way in both, and BTW it isn't called Bokmål anymore, but Nynorsk.

More information, after I posted my previous follow-up: It's the
former Landsmaal that was renamed Nynorsk.

Here's a nice page (in English) on the history of the two languages:
http://odin.dep.no/odinarkiv/norsk/u...64/dok-bn.html

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Iceman

In this group Stan Brown wrote in message

Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:24:42 -0000 from Iceman:
It's that way in both, and BTW it isn't called Bokmål anymore, but
Nynorsk.

More information, after I posted my previous follow-up: It's the
former Landsmaal that was renamed Nynorsk.

Here's a nice page (in English) on the history of the two languages:
http://odin.dep.no/odinarkiv/norsk/u...64/dok-bn.html

Thank you, Stan. I was wrong.

And as you said before, this is OT in the Word group, so we should now lay
this thread to rest. I hope you find what you're looking for (try asking in
soc.culture.nordic).